Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.

99 jeep grand cherokee: replace front..front axle cv boot..busted

Customer Question

99 jeep grand cherokee replace front axle cv boot one side busted open and other cracking ready to bust. what is cost to replace both at a shop
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 9 years ago.
If I were you and wanted some piece of mind I would replace both axle shafts just because you're already in there and with the boots being torn some damage could have been done to the CV joint. Plus you would get a parts warranty on the entire shaft not just the boot. According to Alldata which is a labor estimating guide for most shops you are looking at 2.6 hours (@ whatever the shop labor rate is) plus around $125.00 times 2 for replacing the shafts. If you wanted to just replace the boots it's 3.6 hours (@ whatever the shop labor rate is) plus around $20-30 times 2. I highly recommend the replacement of both shafts. In the long run it's a little more money but much safer repair. Let me know if you need any more help ok.