DuGan
DuGan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  shop owner 30 years / technician
4576366

2002 CHRYSLER VOYAGER: MINI VAN..KEY WONT TURN..DOWN.

2002 CHRYSLER VOYAGER MINI VAN- THE KEY WON'T TURN AT ALL! NEITHER UP OR DOWN. IT MAKES THAT BEEPING NOISE WHEN THE KEY IS IN THERE. LIGHTS WORK. ALREADY TRIED TURNING WHEEL ALL THE WAY TO ONE SIDE, NOW IT'S LOCKED. TRIED PULLING SHIFT LEVER UP AT SAME TIME TRYING TO TURN KEY, DIDN'T WORK. USED WD-40 IN KEY HOLE, DIDN'T WORK. WHAT COULD BE WRONG? I'M FEMALE, AND I DON'T WANT TO BE CHEATED BY A MECANIC, SO IF YOU COULD GIVE ME A HEADS UP, IT WOULD BE GREAT! THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.   B.TREVINO
Category: Car
Expert:  DuGan replied 9 years ago.
Hi there:

This is a very common problem with the Chrysler vehicles these days. the lock is not reading the key so is will not allow it to turn.
Here is something that works more often than not. At this point you need a new lock cylinder so damaging the old one is not doing any more damage. With the ball end of a ball peen hammer, tap the chrome part of the lock cylinder (the face where the key goes in.) What you are trying to do is loosen the tumbler inside so they drop down and read the key. Sometimes they get stuck.
Only hit it as hard as you would if your thumb was in the way. We're not trying to dent it or break anything, just jar it. Then try the key once a gain.
If that does not work, then you can call a locksmith and if they have a mobile service, they can come out and replace the lock cylinder and key for @ $100.

I hope this helps you