Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired

1997 Pontiac grand am SE: liter battery..ignition switch

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Pontiac grand am SE, with a 2.4 liter engine. I discharged my battery while replacing the ignition switch and now the car's anti-theft system needs resetting. The system shuts down the engine right after starting it. How can I reset the anti-theft alarm system?
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer The pass lock system on your car is a class 2 device and if the following procedure does not cure your problem, it will be necessary to have it connected to a class 2 scanner like the dealers use to clear they system and re set it. Good luck and let me know how it goes. This is right out of the GM service manual. Thanks, Bob

Auto Learn

Time required, approximately 10 minutes.

1. Insure that the battery is fully charged.
  2. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
  3. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
  4. Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
  5. When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.

The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt.