.......
......., ..........
Experience:  ............
4419077

my 1989 yamaha XT 600 is backfiring through the exaughst..throttle

my 1989 Yamaha XT 600 is backfiring through the exaughst when I let off the throttle
Hey there welcome to JA,

Have you checked for an exhaust leak? most likely right at the motor or secondarily at the muffler, pretty common & pretty typical for these big thumpers. I'd change the exhaust gasket, & possibly the bushing for the muffler. A loose baffle could cause similar symptoms.

I'd also remove the carb & clean it, those idle jets & intermediate jets get clogged easily. Or has the fuel/air mix screw been adjusted significantly without jetting changes?

Do you have an in line fuel filter? If not I'd pick up one of those next time I was out doing errands, they make a world of difference on how long it is between carb cleans.

I recomend getting a service manual but if you need it I can walk you through a carb R&R.

Let me know if you need more help, thanks for using JA.