Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

how do you line up timeing mark on dodge 440 engine,and why ...

Customer Question

how do you line up timeing mark on camshaft in dodge 440 engine,and why does harmonic balancer have 4 timeing marks?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Hi Olgirl, Sending you cam and crank gear alignment marks for the timing chain. All the V8's are the same. Have no clue why there would be so many marks on the balancer, but after you install the chain slide the balancer on the crank shaft and the notch that lines up with the zero on the timing indicator will be top dead center, Than you can paint it white or something so you will be able to remember. Hope this is helpful. Thanks, Bob

See Figures 2 through 7

1. Remove the front cover.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Before loosening and removing the camshaft sprocket bolt, align the timing marks

1. On 238, 318, 383, and 360 engines, remove the camshaft sprocket lock bolt, securing cup washer, and fuel pump eccentric. Remove the timing chain with both sprockets. On 400 and 440 engines, remove the camshaft sprocket lockbolt, then remove the timing chain with the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Slide the securing cup washer off after removing the camshaft sprocket bolt

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: When removing and installing the chain make sure the timing marks are in alignment

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the sprocket/chain assembly by hand; DO NOT use a pry tool as this may damage the sprockets

1. Place the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets on a flat surface with the timing indicators on an imaginary centerline through both sprocket boxes.

To install:

1. Place the timing chain around both sprockets. Be sure that the timing marks are in alignment.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: V-6 and V-8 timing mark alignment

1. Turn the crankshaft and camshaft to align them with the keyway location in the crankshaft sprocket and the keyway or dowel hole in the camshaft sprocket.

2. Lift the sprockets and timing chain while keeping the sprockets tight against the chain in the correct position. Slide both sprockets evenly onto their respective shafts.

3. Use a straightedge to measure the alignment of the sprocket timing marks. They must be perfectly aligned.

4. On 238, 318 and 360 engines, install the fuel pump eccentric, cup washer, and camshaft sprocket lockbolt and torque to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) If camshaft end-play exceeds 0.010 in. (0.25mm), install a new thrust plate. It should be 0.002-0.006 in. (0.05-0.15mm) with the new plate.

5. On 400 and 440 engines, install the washer and camshaft sprocket lockbolt(s) and then torque the lockbolt to 35-40 ft. lbs. (47-54 Nm). Check to make sure that the rear face of the camshaft sprocket is flush with the camshaft end.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: ALWAYS double check timing mark alignment before installing the timing cover