2000 chevy suburban 1500 LS: 4wd light drives..transfer case

I have a 2000 chevy suburban 1500 LS the service 4wd light came on when i try to put it in 4wd it makes a sound like it is not going into gear it drives perfect in 2HI, can the transfer case motor cause this
The 4wd actuator on the transfer case is one of the causes of this. The switch also can cause this. The very best thing you can do is to have your vehicle scanned for trouble codes. Being the service 4wd light is on means that there is a trouble code that will direct you to the exact problem. You need to have a scanner to read the codes. This is the only way of diagnosing these newer 4wd drive systems accurately. I hope this helps. If you get the trouble code post it and we can tell you exactly what is wrong.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
when you say the switch can cause this which switch are you talking about
The 4wd switch located on the dash is another thing that can cause you the same trouble. You need to have the code pulled to be certain of anything right now.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
i just pulled these codes PO135,PO160,PO134,PO300
The first three codes are all oxygen sensor codes. The third is a misfire code. Is this all that you got? What type of scan tool did you use. You should be using a class 2 scanner to get 4wd system codes.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I don,t know I went to autozone and they puled the codes my next friend has the better scanner
but I have to wait till i see him the car is running a little sluggish now and when i am on the highway the service engine light starts to blink how do i check the coil to know if it is good i just changed plugs on the car gapped it at 60 but still runs the same

To fix your 4wd you need a class 2 scanner. Autozone only gets engine trouble codes. This will also help with your oxygen sensor codes. These other codes explain the sluggish feeling you speak of. Let me know how you make out with your friend and I can give you any help you need.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
how do i check the coils
You do not need to check the coils. You will need to look into the oxygen sensor. If you friend has a good scanner it will be easy.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thanks i did not know the oxygen sensors could make it run like this
Not a problem. Let me know about the 4wd code and I can further assist you.