Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

93 Buick Regal: starter..Its a 3.8 L, automatic

I need to replace the starter on my 93 Buick Regal. It's a 3.8 L, automatic. I am a very poor mechanic. Can you give me some pointers on this specific model? Thanks. Vic
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Hi Issac, This information is for the 3.8L motor which is the most popular in your car. If you have something else, just let me know and I will try to pull it up for you. Good luck with it and thanks.

• Detach the starter motor wiring, then remove the starter from the vehicle.

• Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 12: Starter motor removal and installatillion

1993 VEHICLES

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the left side cooling fan.

3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

4. Detach the engine oil level sensor and knock sensor electrical connectors.

5. Disconnect the engine oil cooler pipe from the pipe clip.

6. Unfasten the retaining bolts, then remove the flywheel inspection cover.

7. Remove the starter mounting bolts, then detach the electrical connections from the starter.

8. Carefully lower the vehicle, then remove the starter motor from the engine.

To install:

1. Position the starter motor to the engine, then raise and safely support the vehicle.

1. Secure the electrical terminals on the solenoid. Tighten the battery terminal inside nut to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm) and the "S'' terminal inside nut to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).

2. Attach the starter electrical connections. Tighten the battery terminal outside nut to 12 ft. lbs. and the "S'' terminal nut to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).

3. Install the starter mounting bolts and tighten to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).

4. Install the flywheel inspection cover and secure with the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

5. Connect the engine oil cooler pipe to the pipe clip.

6. Attach the engine oil level sensor and knock sensor electrical connectors.

7. Carefully lower the vehicle.

8. Install the left side cooling fan.

9. Connect the negative battery cable, then check the engine oil level and add if necessary.

Bob, Auto Service Technician
    Experience: 40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
    Customer: replied 7 years ago.
    Bob, Thanks for the detailed answer, but I don't know if I can actually do this. Believe me -- I'm pitiful, but can't afford to take it to the shop. Please give me a very general idea and tell me like you're speaking to a 10 year old! Thanks. Vic
    Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.
    Hi Issac, These are not among the easiest to do, but it is still pretty basic. First thing to do is to unhook the battery. Then you will need to remove the radiator cooling fan on the drivers side of the radiator, you are going to need it out of the way so you have clearance. It is just a matter of unplugging the motor and removing the upper and lower bolts that go through the ends of the housing and hold it to the body of the car. Then you will want to disconnect the wiring (again for room) of the knock sensor, one wire, knock sensor is screwed into the front of the block. Also the oil level sensor in the front of the oil pan needs the wire taken off of it. Then you will need to take the retaining bolts out of the cover that goes under the fly wheel and remove the cover. Then unhook the wires from the starter solenoid. The big terminal that holds the battery cable and the small one that has the little wires to the solenoid. After that it's just a matter of taking out the bolts that hold the starter on the car and removing it. Just print a copy of the instructions so you have them when you go back together with it. Thanks
    Bob, Auto Service Technician