Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

1991 Dodge Dakota: charging system..the Alternator..Amps..cables

I am having trouble with the charging system on my 1991 Dodge Dakota. I have replaced the Battery and the Alternator but its still only charging 10-11 Amps. I have looked at all the cables and they appear to be in good condition. I used my Ohm meter to check the ground cables and they have a good reading, they arent perfect but there in little resistence. I checked all the grounds on the truck and they are also in good condition. It is a 2WD with a 5.2L V8 if that makes a difference.
Submitted: 7 years ago via OnlineAutoRepair.
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 7 years ago.
What is the charging voltage at idle with no accessories on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: 10-11 amps
it barely has enough power to run the engine and the turn signal, let alone anything else
I asked for volt readings not amps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Hammer Time's Post: sorry, how do I test volt readings??
if you are talking about the voltmeter on the dash it looks to be about 10-11 based on where the needle is between "8 and 18"

OK, your way off here. You don'ty have an amp reading at all. You can't rely on the dash gauge. You need a digital voltmeter and read accross the battery with the engine idling and no accessories on. You should have between 13.5 and 14.8 volts.

You also need to fully charge the battery before doing this test and the battery alone should have over 12.2 volts.

If you do all this and the reading is too low, then you likely have a bad ECM (engine control module). That's where the voltage regulator is.

Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience: ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
is the Engine Control Module part of the Voltage regulator or is it a seperate part??
Also, I thought I had a guy tell me that the Voltage Regulator is in the computer, is this true??
And just to clarify, is all electrical current on a vehicle measured in volts and not amps?

This is what I already told you.

Quote:

The engine control module is the computer.

Volts and Amps are 2 different measurements of electricity. They are measuring different things.

Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician