Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

How do you change brake rotors on a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 7 years ago.
2wd or 4wd
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
4wd

You need to raise the vehicle and remove the wheel. Then remove both upper and lower caliper bolts and swing the caliper up and off. Then Remove the rotor.

graphic

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience
Do you still need help
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Chris (Moose)'s Post: i need help on how to remove bearing grease cap,snap ring,shim,6bolts and drive flange from axle shaft?
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Yes is all you said. I posted an additional answer to assist you with the rotor removal
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i need help on removing the snap ring,shim, and drive flange from axle shaft?

Remove the snap ring with snap ring pliers.

Pull the shim off with your fingers

Remove the 6 bolts and pull the flange from the rotor

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Chris (Moose)'s Post: what to use when i dont have a snap ring pliers and what is a shim and after i do that the rotor should come right off?

After the flange bolts are removed and the flange then yes the rotor will come off.

You can try to get the snap ring off by using a screwdriver or the tips of needle nose pliers but its a snap ring that it is built to be only used with snap ring pliers. A shim is a washer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you have a pic of what the snap ring looks like?

I do not have a picture of the snap ring on your vehicle but here is a pic of the same design on another.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my vehicle has two or one snap ring and does the snap ring comes out up are out?
You need snap ring pliers to open the snap ring to slide it off. When on it is squeezing tight. To remove it you must expand the opening.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
can you show me a pic of a hub cover and screws from lock washer and lock nut and hub assembly also how to remove all of that?
There is no pic available just text
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when you say remove the 6 bolts on the 2wd you mean the same thing a the 4wd?
yes
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Chris (Moose)'s Post: what can i use to remove the lock nut without a lock nut wrench?
There is not an alternate tool i can thim of for the lock nut. I own one so i never have had to fabricate another tool
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
i need to know if remove bearing grease cap,snap ring,shim,6bolts and drive flange from axle shaft is the order to remove the rotor or the order that it is done does not matter or if this order is the fastest way to do it and what oder to put it back in?
It does not matter the order removed but it must go back in the correct locations