Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 yrs experience and currently own and operate an Auto Repair Center
4387830

1994 Mazda: the timing belt, I am removing the water pump and need

1994 Mazda MX3, engine is 1597cc- 1.6 ltr. How do I line up the timing belt, I am removing the water pump and need to line up timing belt? To remove the water pump, I need to remove the drive belt. How do I align the drive belt when installing the new water pump?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 7 years ago.

the drive belt just goes back on the way it comes off, it does not have marks that have to be at a certain location. Adjustment procedures for belts are down below the timing belt procedure.

The timing belt procedure is as follows:

Timing Belt Cover

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1990-94 1.6L and 1.8L (except K8) Engines
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the engine under splash shield.
    Fig. 1: Exploded view of the 1990-94 1.6L and 1.8L SOHC timing belt cover assembly

Fig. 2: Exploded view of the 1.8L DOHC timing belt cover assembly

3. Remove the accessory drive belts. Refer to Section 1.
  4. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  5. Remove the inner and outer timing belt guide plates.
  6. Remove the 2 bolts and remove the upper timing belt cover assembly.
  7. Remove the 1 bolt and remove the lower timing belt cover assembly and gasket.

To install:

8. Install the lower cover gasket and the lower cover. Tighten the bolt to 69-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
  9. Install the upper cover gasket and the upper cover. Tighten the bolts to 69-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
  10. Install the timing belt inner and outer guide plates. Make sure that the inner guide plate is installed in the proper direction.
  11. Install the crankshaft pulley. Tighten the bolts to 109-152 inch lbs. (12-17 Nm).
  12. Install the accessory drive belts. Refer to Section 1.
  13. Install the under engine splash shield.
  14. Connect the negative battery cable.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

SOHC Engines
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the engine undercover.
  2. Remove the accessory drive belts.
  3. Remove the water pump pulley.
  4. Remove the crankshaft pulley bolts and remove the crankshaft pulley and baffle plate. Using a suitable tool to hold the crankshaft pulley and remove the pulley lockbolt. Remove the crankshaft pulley boss.
  5. Remove the upper and lower timing belt covers.
  6. Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires. Remove the spark plugs.

NOTE: Spark plugs are removed to make it easier to rotate the engine.

7. Temporarily reinstall the crankshaft pulley boss and lockbolt.
    Fig. 1: Crankshaft sprocket timing marks for the 1.6L and 1.8L SOHC engines

Fig. 2: Camshaft sprocket timing marks for the 1.6L and 1.8L SOHC engines

8. Turn the crankshaft, using the bolt, until the camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprocket timing marks are aligned. Mark the direction of rotation on the timing belt.
  9. Remove the belt tensioner lockbolt, the tensioner wheel and the spring. Remove the timing belt.

NOTE: Do not rotate the engine after the timing belt has been removed.

10. Inspect the belt for wear, peeling, cracking, hardening or signs of oil contamination. Inspect the tensioner for free and smooth rotation. Check the tensioner spring free length; it should not exceed 2.520 in. (64mm). Inspect the sprocket teeth for wear or damage. Replace parts, as necessary.
  11. If necessary to remove the sprockets:
    1. Insert a small prybar through one of the camshaft sprocket holes to keep it from turning.
    2. Remove the sprocket bolt and the sprocket from the camshaft.

To install:

12. Align the dowel on the camshaft with the dowel pin facing straight up. The dowel pin on the camshaft should also be facing upward.
  13. Install the camshaft sprocket bolt. Hold the sprocket with the prybar and tighten the bolt(s) to 36-45 ft. lbs. (49-61 Nm).
  14. Make sure the timing marks on the sprockets are properly aligned.
    Fig. 3: Install the timing belt tensioner and spring. Fully extend the tensioner spring then tighten the bolt to hold the tensioner pulley

Fig. 4: When installing the belt, ensure that there is no looseness on the tension side of the belt

15. Install the timing belt tensioner and spring. Temporarily tighten the bolt with the spring fully extended.
  16. Install the timing belt so there is no looseness on the tension side. If reusing the old timing belt, make sure it is reinstalled in the same direction of rotation.
  17. Turn the crankshaft 2 turns clockwise and check the timing mark alignment. If the marks are not aligned, repeat Steps 11-14.
  18. Loosen the tensioner lockbolt to set the tension, then torque the bolt to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  19. Turn the crankshaft 2 turns clockwise and check the alignment of the timing marks. If they are not aligned, repeat Steps 11-16.
    Fig. 5: Check timing belt deflection by applying pressure at the point shown, and measuring the deflection

20. Apply approximately 22 lbs. pressure to the timing belt on the side opposite the tensioner, at a point midway between the sprockets. The belt should deflect 0.43-0.51 in. (11-13mm). If the tension is not as specified, repeat Steps 14-17 or, if necessary, replace the tensioner spring.
  21. Install the spark plugs and connect the spark plug wires.
  22. Install the upper and lower timing belt covers. Tighten the bolts to 95 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
  23. Install the crankshaft pulley boss and tighten the lockbolt to 123 ft. lbs. (167 Nm), while holding the pulley boss with a suitable tool.
  24. Install the crankshaft pulley and baffle plate.
  25. Install the undercover or side cover. Connect the negative battery cable.
  26. Start the engine and check for proper operation. Check the ignition timing.
1990-94 1.6L and 1.8L 4-Cylinder Engines Belts
ALTERNATOR BELT
  1. Position a ruler perpendicular to the drive belt midway between the pulleys on the longest accessible belt span. Press firmly on the belt with your thumb to test the belt tension. The belt should deflect 0.31-0.35 in. (8-9mm) if it is new or 0.35-0.39 in. (9-10mm) for a used belt.
  2. If the belt tension is not as specified in Step 1, loosen the alternator adjustment bolt and the through bolt. Turn the alternator adjustment screw to adjust the belt tension.
  3. After adjustment, tighten the through bolt to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm) and the adjusting bolt to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
POWER STEERING AND AIR CONDITIONING BELT
  1. Position a ruler perpendicular to the drive belt midway between the pulleys on the longest accessible belt span. Press firmly on the belt with your thumb to test the belt tension. The belt should deflect 0.31-0.35 in. (8-9mm) if it is new or 0.35-0.39 in. (9-10mm) if it is used.
  2. If the belt tension is not as specified in Step 1, loosen the upper and lower air conditioning compressor through bolts.
  3. Using a suitable prybar against the compressor body, move the compressor until the belt tension is as specified in Step 1.
  4. After adjustment, tighten the upper and lower air conditioning compressor through bolts.
AIR CONDITIONING BELT
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 yrs experience and currently own and operate an Auto Repair Center