Brian9
Brian9, Automotive Technician
Experience:  14 years automotive experience, ASE certified, Expert Technician in driveability.

1999 jeep cherokee Laredo: a cooling fan that needs to be replaced

I have a 1999 jeep Cheokee Laredo with a cooling fan that needs to be replaced... How do I get the old old fan out.?
Category: Car
Expert:  Brian9 replied 7 years ago.

I am taking it that you need to replace the electric AC fan. The engine fan is mechanical where the shroud bolts are removed and fan nuts are removed from pulley and the fan and shroud comeout together. Now for the AC electric fan, I guess it is making a lot of noise like normal when they go bad, follow this procedure.

REMOVAL
The auxiliary cooling fan is attached to the radiator upper crossmember behind the radiator.

graphic

(1) Remove the two fan mounting bolts from radiator upper crossmember.
(2) Disconnect the electric fan connector.
(3) Lift fan straight up and out of vehicle.

INSTALLATION

(1) Align lower retaining tabs of fan shroud with slots in bracket at bottom of radiator. Push fan down into position.
(2) Tighten the mounting bolts to 4 Nm (31 inch lbs.) torque.
(3) Connect auxiliary cooling fan electrical connector.
Hope this what you need. Let me know.Laughing
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is not right - there is no fan mounting bolts available on the upper cross member. The fan looks like it is held in place by a couple of bolts in the midle of the fan housing accessed from the fron of the car - but I don't know how to get to the bolts.
Expert:  Brian9 replied 7 years ago.
So you need to replace the mechanical fan. I described breifly on how to remove the mechanical fan. To double check, do any of these pictures look like your fan? Does the fan run off a belt? If so, you have to remove the 4 nuts that bolt the fan assembly to the pulley. Then it can be disassembled out of vehicle. Yours should be the first photo.

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Brian9's Post: no - the fan is an electrical fan - is there a way to send you a picture of the fan and housing. - That may help
Expert:  Brian9 replied 7 years ago.

Yes. Press the icon that looks like a tree on the top of the message board. Click browse on the 2 windows that pop up till it goes to your computer saved files and upload it. Then just press insert till it comes up on the message board. If you have a problem, let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a few pictures that may help - but I don't see a tree to click on to post this information. Do you have a regular email address that I could send these to.
Expert:  Brian9 replied 7 years ago.

Send an attachment XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
pictures sent - I hope they help
Expert:  Brian9 replied 7 years ago.
Ok. This year they slit the fan designs. Hard to find the picture helped to see. Here is the procedure. Those bolts come out from the the shroud, 4 bolts. The fan and shroud is removed together. This is the updated TSB from Jeep.

1. Disconnect the electrical connector for the electric fan, then disconnect connector from shroud.
  2. Disconnect transmission cooler line from retaining clip on fan shroud. NOTE: The lower left side mounting bolt can only be accessed from under vehicle.
graphic

1. Remove the mounting bolts form the shroud.
  2. Remove the radiator core support.
  3. Remove the radiator mounting bolts.
  4. Gently pull radiator toward front of vehicle to provide clearance to remove fan shroud.
  5. Remove the shroud and fan from vehicle.
Brian9, Automotive Technician
Experience: 14 years automotive experience, ASE certified, Expert Technician in driveability.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This might help - I'll look at this tonight. So does the radiator need to be removed ? I cannot see where all the mounting bolts for the shroud are located - or how to get to them all.
Expert:  Brian9 replied 7 years ago.
Those bolts are kind of hidden. There are 2 bolts that hold the radiator in place. Here is another picture that you can go off of. And it states that the fan is sold as one assembly.

graphic