Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

how do i replace cv joints on 2004 alero

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 7 years ago.

Note, the blue high lights will not open for you, GM access only. There is a lot of GM information here, you may want to print a copy. Thanks

Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement

Tools Required

J 2619-01 Slide Hammer
J 29794 Axle Shaft Remover Extension
J 33008-A Axle Shaft Puller
J 42129 Hub Spindle Remover
Removal Procedure

Object Number: 141983  Size: SH

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Disconnect the tie rod from the knuckle.
  4. Insert a drift (1) into the rotor and against the caliper in order to prevent the rotor from turning.
  5. Remove the wheel drive shaft nut (2).
  6. Remove the stabilizer link.

Important: Be sure that the wheel speed sensor wiring harness is repositioned away from the ball joint after disconnecting the electrical connector from the sensor.

7. Disconnect the electrical connector from the wheel speed sensor and reposition the wiring harness away from the ball joint.
  8. Remove the ball joint from the steering knuckle.
  9. Using the J 42129 , disengage the wheel drive shaft from the wheel hub and bearing and support the wheel drive shaft.
    Object Number: 442399  Size: SH

Important: Be sure to bottom out the threads as much as possible while assembling the J 2619-01 the J 33008-A and the J 29794 .

10. Assemble the J 2619-01 , the J 33008-A and the J 29794 .
  11. Using the J 2619-01 , the J 33008-A and the J 29794 , disengage the wheel drive shaft from the transaxle.
  12. Remove the drive shaft from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 189013  Size: SH

1. Install the axle shaft (2) to the transaxle (1).
  2. Verify that the wheel drive shaft is properly engaged to the transaxle by grasping the inner tripod housing and pulling outward. Do not pull on the wheel drive shaft bar. The wheel drive shaft will remain firmly in place when properly engaged.
    Object Number: 442471  Size: SH

3. Install the wheel drive shaft (1) to the steering knuckle (2).
  4. Install the ball joint to the steering knuckle.
  5. Connect the stabilizer link.
  6. Connect the wheel speed electrical connector.
    Object Number: 141983  Size: SH

7. Insert a drift into the rotor and against the caliper in order to prevent the rotor from turning.

Important: This vehicle is equipped with 2 different style wheel drive shaft nuts. The first design wheel drive shaft nut is a Pac style nut that is painted black in color. The second design is a Solid style wheel drive shaft nut that is gray in color. Both have very different torque values.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

8. Install the wheel drive shaft nut first design to the axle shaft.

Tighten
    Tighten the first design wheel drive shaft nut (Black) to 385 N·m (284 lb ft).

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

9. Install the wheel drive shaft nut second design to the axle shaft.

Tighten
    Tighten the second design wheel drive shaft nut (Gray) to 235 N·m (173 lb ft).

10. Connect the tie rod to the knuckle.
  11. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  12. Lower the vehicle.

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2004 Oldsmobile Alero

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2004 Oldsmobile Alero

Wheel Drive Shaft Inner Joint and Boot Replacement

Tools Required

J 35910 Drive Axle Seal Clamp Pliers
J 35566 Drive Axle Seal Clamp Pliers
J 8059 Snap Ring Pliers-Parallel Jaw

Disassembly Procedure

Object Number: 524806  Size: SH

Important: Do not cut through the halfshaft inboard seal and damage sealing surface of the outer housing and the trilobal tripot bushing.

1. Disconnect the small seal retaining clamp from the halfshaft bar using a side cutter. Discard the small seal retaining clamp.
  2. Remove the larger seal retaining clamp from the tripot joint with side cutter and dispose.
  3. Separate the halfshaft inboard seal from the trilobal tripot bushing at the large diameter.
  4. Slide the seal away from the joint along the halfshaft bar (4).
  5. Remove the housing from the tripot joint spider and the halfshaft bar (4).
  6. Spread the spacer ring (3) with J 8059 .
  7. Slide the spacer ring (3) and tripot joint spider (2) back on halfshaft bar (4).
  8. Using J 8059 , remove the spacer ring (1) from the groove and the halfshaft bar (4).
    Object Number: 233595  Size: SH

9. Slide the tripot joint spider (1) assembly off the halfshaft bar (3). If necessary, use a brass hammer.
  10. Clean the following items with cleaning solvent:
    The tripot balls
    The needle rollers
    The housing
  11. Remove all traces of old grease and any contaminates.
  12. Dry all of the parts.
  13. Remove the trilobal tripot bushing from the housing.
    Object Number: 245267  Size: SH

14. Remove the spacer ring (2) and the seal (3) from the halfshaft bar (4).
  15. Inspect the following parts for damage or wear:
    The halfshaft inboard seal (3)
    The tripot joint spider assembly (1)
    The housing
    The trilobal tripot bushing
    The tripot balls
    The needle rollers

Assembly Procedure

Object Number: 214026  Size: SH

1. Install the small seal retaining clamp on the neck of the halfshaft inboard seal. Do not crimp.
  2. Slide the inboard seal onto the halfshaft bar.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Position the neck of the inboard seal in the seal groove on the halfshaft bar.

Tighten
    Crimp the seal retaining clamp (1) using J 35910 to 136 N·m (100 lb ft).

Object Number: 524806  Size: SH

4. Install the spacer ring (3) on the halfshaft bar (4) into the second groove.
  5. Slide the tripot joint spider assembly (2) toward the spacer ring (3) as far as it will go on the halfshaft bar (4). If necessary, use a brass hammer.
    Object Number: 221915  Size: SH

6. Install the spacer ring (2) in the groove of the halfshaft (1) using J 8059 .
  7. Place approximately half of the grease from the service kit in the inboard seal. Use the remainder of the grease to repack the housing.
  8. Install the trilobal tripot bushing to the housing. Ensure the trilobal tripot bushing is flush with the face of the housing.
  9. Position the larger new clamp on the inboard seal.
  10. Slide the housing over the tripot joint spider assembly on the halfshaft bar.
    Object Number: 221916  Size: SH
  11. Slide the large diameter of the inboard seal (2), with the larger clamp in place (3), over the outside of the trilobal tripot bushing and locate the lip of the seal in the groove.

Important: The halfshaft inboard seal (2) must not be dimpled, stretched out or out of shape in any way. If the halfshaft inboard seal (2) is not shaped correctly, carefully insert a thin flat blunt tool (no sharp edges) between the large seal opening and the trilobal tripot bushing to equalize the pressure. Shape the halfshaft inboard seal properly by hand. Remove the tool.

12. Position the joint assembly at the proper vehicle dimension (dimension a=105mm (4 1/8 in.)).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: Align the following items while latching:

The halfshaft inboard seal (3)
    The housing (1)
    The large clamp (2)

13. Latch the seal retaining clamp (2) with Wheel Drive Shaft Inner Joint

Document ID#(NNN) NNN-NNNN
2004 Oldsmobile Alero
Document ID# XXXXX
2004 Oldsmobile Alero

Wheel Drive Shaft Outer Joint and Boot Replacement

Tools Required

J 35910 Drive Axle Seal Clamp Pliers
J 8059 Snap Ring Pliers-Parallel Jaw

Disassembly Procedure

Object Number: 221901  Size: SH

1. Remove the large seal retaining clamp from the CV joint with a side cutter. Discard the seal retaining clamp.
  2. Remove the small seal retaining clamp from the halfshaft bar (4) with a side cutter. Discard the seal retaining clamp.
  3. Separate the seal (5) from the CV joint outer race (1) at large diameter and slide the seal (5) away from joint along bar (4).
  4. Wipe the grease from the face of the CV joint inner race (2).
  5. Spread the ears on the race retaining ring (3) using the J 8059 and remove the CV joint assembly (1) from the bar (4).
  6. Remove the seal (5) from the bar (4).
    Object Number: 211933  Size: SH

7. Use a brass drift and a hammer in order to gently tap on the CV joint cage (1) until the cage is tilted enough to remove the first chrome alloy ball (2).
  8. Tilt the cage in the opposite direction in order to remove the opposing ball.
  9. Repeat this process until all 6 balls are removed.
    Object Number: 214946  Size: SH

10. Position the CV joint cage (4) and the CV joint inner race 90 degrees to the centerline of the CV joint outer race (1).

Align the CV joint cage windows (3) with the lands of the CV joint outer race (2).

11. Remove the CV joint cage (4) and the CV joint inner race from the CV joint outer race (1).
    Object Number: 214947  Size: SH

12. Rotate the CV joint inner race 90 degrees to the centerline of the CV joint cage with the lands of the CV joint inner race (1) aligned with the windows of the CV joint cage (2).
  13. Pivot the inner race into the cage window and remove the inner race.
  14. Clean the inner and outer race assemblies, the CV joint cage and the balls thoroughly with cleaning solvent. Remove all traces of old grease and any contaminates.
  15. Dry all of the parts.

Assembly Procedure

Object Number: 214024  Size: SH

1. Install the new seal retaining clamp (2) on the neck of the seal. Do not crimp.
  2. Slide the seal (1) onto the halfshaft bar and position the neck of the seal in the seal groove (3) on the bar.
    Object Number: 214026  Size: SH

3. Crimp the seal retaining clamp (1) using the J 35910 , a breaker bar, and a torque wrench.

Tighten
    Tighten the seal retaining clamp to 136 N·m (100 lb ft).

4. Check the gap dimension, continue tightening until the gap dimension is reached.
    Object Number: 214946  Size: SH

5. Put a light coat of grease from the service kit on the ball grooves of the inner race and the outer race.
  6. Hold the inner race 90 degrees to centerline of cage (4) with the lands of the inner race (2) aligned with the windows (3) of the cage.
  7. Insert the inner race into the cage.

Important: Ensure that the retaining ring side of the inner race faces the halfshaft bar.

8. Place the cage and the inner race into the outer race.
  9. Insert the first chrome ball then tilt the cage in the opposite direction in order to insert the opposing ball.
  10. Repeat this process until all 6 balls are in place.
  11. Place approximately half the grease from the service kit inside the seal and pack the CV joint with the remaining grease.
    Object Number: 245254  Size: SH

12. Push the CV joint (2) onto the bar (1) until the retaining ring is seated in the groove on the bar.
    Object Number: 221903  Size: SH

Important: Ensure that the seal (1) is not dimpled, stretched, or out of shape. If the seal is not shaped correctly, equalize the pressure in the seal and shape the seal properly by hand.

13. Slide large diameter of the seal (1) with the large seal retaining clamp (2) in place over the outside of the CV joint outer race (3).
  14. Locate the seal lip in the groove on the CV joint outer race (3).
    Object Number: 245263  Size: SH

15. Crimp the seal retaining clamp (1) using the J 35910 , a breaker bar (3), and a torque wrench (2).

Tighten
    Tighten the seal retaining clamp to 176 N·m (130 lb ft).

16. Check the gap dimension, continue tightening until the gap dimension is reached (dimension a=1.90mm (1/16 in.)).

Document ID# XXXXX
2004 Oldsmobile Alero