Tony Noble
Tony Noble, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. CHRYSLER EXPERT TECH, HYUNDAI MASTER TECH, EMISSIONS TRAINER
4246103

1991 ford festiva: ecm..disconnecting..mine wont start..battery power

Customer Question

can the ecm on a 1991 ford festiva be reset programed by disconnecting for a period of time or another procedure to reactivate it to start the engine because mine wont start with the key even though the starter works with direct battery power but wont fire up
Category: Car
Expert:  Tony Noble replied 7 years ago.

removing the battery connections and draining the system / Resetting the computer will not help this vehicle start. You need spark, fuel, and compression to get this engine running. Can you check for spark? If you have spark I will ask you to spray some carburator cleaner down the throttle body and see if it starts.

let me know Thanks, Tony

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Tony Noble's Post: I asked if there is another shut off sensor other than the inertia button in the rear of the vehicle that would keep the ignition switch from activating because i cant try your suggestion carburaton fliud until i can turn over the engine
as i stated by direct jump from battery to starter will turn it over but no spark think maybe the switch is bad

There is no other shut off sensor.

Sounds like you are saying that the engine turns over but does not start . Is that correct???

Tony

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it wont turn over with key no will wipers or automatic seat berts or dash lights bur if i jump starter from battery it just turns engine over but wont send spark to plugs or get fuel from injectors baffled and confused switch maybe since i get no juice with tester with key turned on

Sounds just like a switch failure. Sorry I did not under stand you the first time. I just wanted to make sure we were saying the same thing. I will try to puill a wiring diagram up so we can do some voltage tests. Be right back

Thankss, Tony

I need you to turn the ignition key to the on position and go to the fuel injectors and tell me if you have power with key on at the (yellow and black) wires at any fuel injector.

Thanks, Tony

I will also need to know if this is a automatic or manual transmission.

I have to step out for a short time so I will leave you with a wire diagran to test the wire of the ignition switch to the clutch pedal/park neutral switch depending on the transmission. I want you to test the black/blue wire for power when cranking. Test the wires before and after the swtich. I want to make sure these switchs are good.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Tony Noble's Post: I ran power directly from battery to ignition switch and engine started right up sorry you couldnt help me Thanks anyway Bernie