Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 yrs experience and currently own and operate an Auto Repair Center
4387830

98 vw cabrio: i am replacing the left front drive axle, auto trans, i

98 vw cabrio, i am replacing the left front drive axle, auto trans, i have it lose from the trans but it will not fit through the opening. the end of the axle is too big. what else has to come apart or which way do you turn it to sneak it out of there?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 7 years ago.

Halfshafts

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Cabriolet
Fig. 1: Using a 12 point Torx to remove the bolts from the inner constant velocity (CV) joint

WARNING
When loosening or tightening an axle nut, make sure the vehicle is on the ground. The amount of torque required could cause the vehicle to fall off jackstands.

NOTE: When removing the right axle shaft, you must detach the exhaust pipe from the manifold and the transaxle bracket. Be sure to buy a new exhaust flange gasket.

1. With the vehicle on the ground, remove the front axle nut.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  3. Raise and safely support vehicle and remove the front wheels.
  4. Remove the ball joint clamping bolt and push the control arm down, away from the ball joint.
  5. If necessary, carefully loosen the halfshaft in the hub using a brass drift and hammer.
  6. Remove the socket head bolts from the transaxle drive flange.
    Fig. 2: Remove the front axle nut with the vehicle on the ground

Fig. 3: Removing the ball joint clamping bolt

Fig. 4: Push the control arm down, away from the ball joint, after removing the clamping bolt

7. Remove the halfshaft from the drive flange and support it below the flange. Do not let it hang by the outer CV-joint, or the joint may fall apart.
  8. Remove the assembly from the vehicle.

To install:

9. Fit the halfshaft to the drive flange and install the bolts. It is not necessary to tighten them yet.
  10. Apply a thread locking compound to the outer 14 inch of the spline. Slip the spline through the hub and loosely install a new axle nut.
  11. Assemble the ball joint and tighten the nut and bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
  12. Install the wheel and hold it to keep the axle from turning. Tighten the drive flange bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  13. With the vehicle on the ground, tighten the axle nut to 195 ft. lbs. (265 Nm) on Golf and Jetta, or 175 ft. lbs. (240 Nm) on other models.
  14. Connect the negative battery cable.
    Fig. 5: If necessary, carefully loosen the halfshaft in the hub using a brass drift and hammer

Fig. 6: Removing the socket head bolts from the drive flange

Fig. 7: The halfshafts can be wrapped in plastic to prevent damage to the boots and joints

Fox

WARNING

1. With the car on the ground, remove the front axle nut.

NOTE: If necessary, use a long breaker bar with a length of pipe as an extension.

3. Raise and support the front of the vehicle.
  4. Remove the socket head bolts retaining the axle shaft to the transaxle.
  5. Pull the transaxle side of the driveshaft out and up and place it on the top of the transaxle.
  6. Pull the axle shaft from the steering knuckle.

To install:

7. Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the axle shaft flange bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). The axle nut should be tightened to 145 ft. lbs. (198 Nm) for M18 nuts, or 170 ft. lbs. (231 Nm) for M20 nuts.
1990-92 Golf and Jetta

WARNING

The torque required to loosen the front axle nut is high enough to make the vehicle fall off of jack stands. Make sure the vehicle is on the ground when loosening or tightening the front axle nut.

2. Raise and safely support vehicle and remove the front wheels.
  3. Remove the ball joint clamping bolt and push the control arm down, away from the ball joint.
  4. Remove the socket head bolts from the transaxle drive flange.
  5. Remove the halfshaft from the drive flange and support it below the flange. Do not let it hang by the outer CV-joint or the joint may fall apart.
  6. Push the halfshaft out of the hub. A wheel puller may be required.

To install:

7. Fit the halfshaft to the drive flange and install the bolts. It is not necessary to tighten them yet.
  8. Apply a thread locking compound to the outerinch of the spline. Slip the spline through the hub and loosely install a new axle nut.
  9. Assemble the ball joint and tighten the nut and bolt to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
  10. Install the wheel and hold it to keep the axle from turning. Tighten the drive flange bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  11. With the vehicle on the ground, tighten the axle nut to 175 ft. lbs. (240 Nm) or Cabriolet or 195 ft. lbs. (265 Nm) on Golf and Jetta.
1995-99 Cabrio, 1993-99 Golf and Jetta

Three suspension systems offered on the A3 platform. A base suspension, plus suspension, and triple roller joint type. An easy way to determine which suspension you have is to note the type of nuts used to fasten the inner Constant Velocity joint to the inner transaxle drive flange. On the base suspension a standard six point hex nut was used. The plus suspension had twelve point self-locking nut. Triple-roller joint style systems are used on vehicles with a four cylinder power plant and an automatic transmission.

BASE SUSPENSION

WARNING

1. Pry off the dust caps and loosen the axle nut. Do not remove the nut at this point.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle on jack stands.
  3. Matchmark the ball joints position in the control arm and then remove the ball joints mounting bolts.
  4. Remove the bolts that hold the inner Constant Velocity (CV) joint to the transaxle drive flange.
  5. Remove the axle shaft nut from the drive shaft.
  6. Pull the drive shaft out of the wheel hub.

To install:

7. Installation is the reverse of removal.
  8. Tighten the outer CV joint to wheel hub bolt to 195 ft. lbs. (265 Nm).
  9. Tighten the ball joint to control arm bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
  10. Tighten the inner CV joint to drive flange bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
PLUS SUSPENSION

WARNING

4. Remove the bolts that hold the inner Constant Velocity (CV) joint to the transaxle drive flange. This will require a 12 point socket.

NOTE: You may have to press the halfshaft out of the hub.

WARNING
    Cover all exposed joints to avoid contamination from entering the joint which will lead to joint failure.

To install:

NOTE: Two types of hubs were used on this system. The standard (non-modified) hub used a thread sealer such as Loctite® . Later a modified hub was installed with a stronger hub nut and modified splines. This hub does not require a thread sealant. Please note the following torque specifications below.

7. Tighten the outer CV joint to wheel hub bolt to 148 ft. lbs. (200 Nm) on vehicles with a modified hub.
  8. Tighten the outer CV joint to wheel hub bolt to 66 ft. lbs. (90 Nm) on vehicles with a modified hub.
TRIPLE ROLLER JOINT

WARNING

2. Install an engine support brace across the top of the engine.
  3. Remove the bolt from the rear transaxle mount.
  4. Fully support the engine and transaxle with the engine hoist.
  5. Raise and support the vehicle on jack stands.
  6. Matchmark the ball joints position in the control arm and then remove the ball joints mounting bolts.
  7. Remove the bolts that hold the inner Constant Velocity (CV) joint to the transaxle drive flange. This will require a 12 point socket.
  8. Remove the axle shaft nut from the spindle.
  9. Push the engine/transaxle assembly forward and re-support it.
  10. Remove the axle from the car by positioning the hub out and slightly to the left.

To install:

11. Installation is the reverse of removal.
  12. Tighten the ball joint to control arm bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
  13. Tighten the CV joint to drive flange bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  14. Outer CV joint to wheel hub bolt to 195 ft. lbs. (265 Nm).
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 yrs experience and currently own and operate an Auto Repair Center