FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2003 Chevrolet: Z71..speedometer started slowing down and has now quit

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Z71 Tahoe and the speedometer started slowing down and has now quit altogether. What steps do I have to take to repair it?
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer does the vehicle still seem to run okay?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: The vehicle runs fine. There doesn't seem to be any other related problems. The needle will start moving as you increase the speed of the vehicle but it acts as if it's sticking. The needle will jerk instead of moving smooth as it did before. I had a similar issue with a 86 suburban but it had a speedometer cable and all it needed was lubrication. I'm just not familar enough with the newer vehicles to know where to start troubleshooting.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Okay. Chances are that the problem lies in the vehicle speed sensor. It may be bad. There may also be a problem with the speedometer itself. Do you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: I was guessing that it could be the speed sensor but I figured the speedometer was electrical and I wasn't sure how to procede. And the answer to your question is "yes" I am going to try to fix this myself. The local dealerships are an expensive option I would reather not take. Is there some other type of relay that could have gone bad? What is the procedure in replacing the speed sensor?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
What you need to do is locate the speed sensor on the side of the transmission. Make sure the wiring looks okay. If it is then you should replace the sensor. It is a fairly easy job. Let me know if you require more help.
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: I've done some research as well and have found an overwhelming amount of people are having the same problem but most of their solutions to the problem is to have the insturment panel replaced/repaired. There is a local shop that has done quite a few repairs to the the insturment panels and say they can have it done in one day. They say it is a very common problem. So should I persue the sensor first or take out the panel and have it reworked?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
If the vehicle is having no other problems such as shifting or acceleration problems, and the check engine light is not on then I would have them look at the instrument panel. These can usually be reprogrammed or repaired easily.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: Have you personally ever worked on this issue before?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Yes I have. I was thinking you were having other problems that would have led me to believe it was the speed sensor. If it was the sensor then the vehicle would not want to shift correctly and most likely the check engine light would be on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: Is there a certain part on the cluster that you know of that I can replace myself to fix the problem or is this out of my hands?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
I would not attemp to fix the cluster yourself. These are very tough to fix and a lot of special tools and parts are required. Most of the parts you cannot just go into a store and buy. I would take it to a professional.
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience: AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH