Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic

my car was jerking forward as I was driving into work ...

my car was jerking forward as I was driving into work today. This was a first. Before this happened, I thought that I might be having a transmission problem because my car would jerk forward slightly whenever I would start or stop.
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 9 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The car is a 1999 4 door Honda Accord with about a 130,000. It is a v tech engine. I have not tried anything yet

It's hard for me to tell if it is coming from the engine or the transmission, if it is from the transmission, you can run it by any major transmission shop and they will perform a scan of the transmission controller to see if there is a problem in there, they also dont charge for this diagnoses.

If it is in the engine you can also run it by any major auto parts store and they will scan the engine controller(computer) to see if there are any diagnostic codes present, if no codes, then, more than likely it is fuel related and i doubt the fuel filter has ever been changed, because it is on the fuel pump, which is inside the gas tank. You will need to have the fuel pressure tested with a gauge to confirm this.

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

If not please click ACCEPT.

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: So, do you have any idea how much something like this would cost for any of the three potential problems that you named the fuel fileter, engine or transmission?

Below is what you would expect to pay at the dealer if it is the fuel filter and/or the fuel pump. If it is in the transmission or engine,,,the price for repairs depends on what it is. But if you can see if there are any codes in the system, you might be able to track it down.graphic