Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.

1990 BUICK LESABRE: YEARS, WHERE WOULD THE MOTOR TO THE POWER WINDOWS

Customer Question

MY 1990 BUICK LESABRE POWER WINDOWS WILL NOT WORK THEY HAVEN'T FOR YEARS, WHERE WOULD THE MOTOR TO THE POWER WINDOWS BE? PLEASE, HELP!
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 7 years ago.

Power Window Motor is located on the Window Regulator inside the Door. iIt has 2 wires attached to it

CAUTION:
Regulators are Spring Loaded. Use extreme caution when removing Window Motor. Personal Injury can occur.

The power window actuator motor assembly removal does not involve removing the regulator or window assembly on most models. If your model requires these components to be removed, follow the procedures for Glass and Regulator replacement.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Remove door trim panel and water deflector.

2. Remove speaker assembly, as needed.

3. Detach the electrical connectors.

4. Unfasten the retaining screws or drill out the retaining rivets, as applicable.

5. Remove the actuator.

To install:

1. Install the actuator.

2. Make certain the teeth on the actuator align with teeth on the crossarm.

3. Install retaining screws.

4. Attach the electrical connector.

5. Check window for proper operation.

6. Install speaker assembly, water deflector and trim pane

l.

Power Window Assembly

CONVENTIONAL DESIGN

See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4

This procedure is for 1987-91 vehicles with the separate regulator design. If your vehicle has the modular design, follow those procedures regardless of year or model.

2. Remove the speaker assembly, if necessary.

3. Tape or block window to door frame in fully up position.

Many of the door components are fastened with rivets in place of screws. These rivets must be drilled out for removal and should be replaced with new rivets, NOT screws. Screws may be longer than rivets and will cause interference or, on thin panels, screws will pull loose under use.

1. Remove the regulator to door inner panel rivets using a 1/4 inch drill.

2. If equipped with power locks, remove the lock-to-actuator inner panel rivets.

3. Remove the lock actuator.

4. Remove the regulator guide and block assembly from the lower sash by positioning the window halfway down, and pushing the regulator forward. After removal, tape the glass in the fully up position again.

5. Detach the electrical connector, then remove the regulator through the access hole.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the conventional window assembly and related components

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Conventional power window assembly removal - 1989 LeSabre shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Conventional power regulator assembly removal - 1989 LeSabre shown

To install:

1. Install the window.

2. Install the guide and block assembly to the regulator.

3. Position the regulator to the door, attaching the wiring connector. Install the regulator to the door using new rivets.

4. To adjust the window, move it upward into the door header.

5. Grasp the window and move it rearward and upward into the seal, to assure full engagement of the window to run channel.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Front door glass adjustment on vehicles with the conventional regulator assembly

1. Tighten the window-to-sash nuts.

2. Tighten front nut channel bolts.

3. Cycle the window up and down to check operation.

4. Install the speaker, water deflector and trim panel.