Randall    (Cheeko)
Randall (Cheeko), Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mechanic
3075798

2002 ford escape. i have a warning chime that chimes 4 ...

Customer Question

2002 ford escape. i have a warning chime that chimes 4 times then stops and repeats every 10 second for 4 cycles. No icons light up on the dash. What is it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 7 years ago.

Sounds like the Belt Minder:

Preparation
Before deactivating / activating the belt minder, set the parking brake.
Place the gearshift in P (PARK) (automatic transmission) or the NEUTRAL position (manual transmission).
Place the ignition switch in the OFF position.
Close all the vehicle doors.
Unbuckle the driver safety belt.
Place the parking lamps/headlamps switch in the OFF position. (If the vehicle is equipped with autolamps, the autolamps must be disabled first.)
Deactivating / Activating
1) Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. (Do not start the engine.)
2) Wait until the safety belt warning lamp turns off. (approximately one to two minutes)
NOTE: Steps 3 through 5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure must be repeated.

3) Completely pull and retract the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt retracted.
4) Turn the parklamps/headlamps on then off.
5) Completely pull and retract the safety belt three times ending with the safety belt retracted. After this step the safety belt warning lamp will be illuminated for three seconds.
6) Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning lamp turning off, completely pull and retract the safety belt. This will enable the belt minder if disabled or disable the belt minder if enabled.
The following sequence of events confirm the belt minder is enabled:

• flashing of the safety belt warning belt lamp four times per second for three seconds
  • three seconds with the safety belt lamp off
  • flashing the safety belt lamp four times per second for three seconds again

The safety belt lamp flashing four times per second for three seconds provides confirmation that the belt minder is disabled.
After confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is not the safety belt chime, thi occurs about 1 minute afterwards and has a different tone, no indicator lights come on with the chime.
Expert:  Lurch replied 7 years ago.

If there is No Dash Lights associated with the Chime, then Ford Service will have to Scan the Vehicle for Codes. The only other Chime could be the Ignition Key Warning. Ford has had problems with that.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
2002 ford escape. about 20 second int driving a series of 5 tones comes from thes dash, stops for ten seconds and repeats for a total of 5 times and stops for the duration of the drive. There are no no lit symbols on the dash to accompany the tone and it is not for the seat belt.
Expert:  Randall (Cheeko) replied 7 years ago.
Hi, when you turn the key on does the airbag light come on and then flash out?thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it does not

Hi, below is the source of your problem, you will need to get the system tested , it could be a blown out bulb or wiring issue, thanks

Air Bag Warning Chime

The air bag warning chime is activated when the air bag warning indicator is inoperative and an active fault is detected by the restraint control module (RCM). The RCM sends a chime request to the instrument cluster when the ignition switch is in the RUN or START position.

Randall (Cheeko), Auto Mechanic
Experience: Auto Mechanic