Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

how do i change the rear brakes on a 1996 buick regal

Customer Question

i need a step by step process in pushing the cylinder back and if necessary on replacing the whole caliper also
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 7 years ago.

Here is how to do the brake pads. You will need a special tool to turn in the rear caliper piston. Most auto parts stores sell these.

1. Remove about 2/3 of the brake fluid from the reservoir with a clean syringe or baster type utensil.

2. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

3. Matchmark the relationship of the wheel to the axle flange. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

4. Reinstall two lug nuts to retain the rotor.

5. Unfasten the bolt and washer attaching the cable support bracket to the caliper body assembly. It is not necessary to disconnect the parking brake cable from the caliper parking brake lever or disconnect the brake hose unless the caliper is to be completely removed from the vehicle. Freeing the cable support bracket allows enough flexibility in the cable to pivot the caliper up and down and remove the shoe and lining.

6. Remove the sleeve bolt.

7. Pivot the caliper body assembly up. Do not completely remove the caliper assembly body.

8. Remove the outboard and inboard shoe and linings (pads) from the caliper support.

9. Remove the two pad clips from the caliper support.

To install:

1. Bottom the piston assembly into the caliper bore. Use a suitable spanner-type tool in the piston slot to turn the piston assembly and thread it into the caliper body assembly.

2. After bottoming the piston, lift the inner edge of the boot next to the piston assembly and press out any trapped air. The boot must lie flat. Make sure the slots in the end of the piston are positioned correctly before pivoting the caliper body assembly down over the shoe and lining in the caliper support. Use a suitable spanner-type tool in the piston slots to turn the piston as necessary.

Whenever installing new pads, install new pad clips. These should be provided in the disc pad kit.

1. Install the two pad clips in the caliper support.

2. Install the outboard and inboard shoe and lining in the caliper support. The wear sensor is on the outboard pad. The sensor is positioned downward at the leading edge of the rotor during forward wheel rotation. Hold the metal shoe edge against the spring end of the clips in the caliper support. Push the shoe in toward the hub, bending the spring ends slightly, and engage the shoe notches with the support abutments.

3. Pivot the caliper body assembly down over the shoe and lining assembly. Be careful not to damage the piston boot on the inboard. Compress the sleeve boot by hand as the caliper body moves into position to prevent boot damage.

4. After the caliper body is in position, recheck the installation of the pad clips. If necessary, use a small prytool to re-seat or center the pad clips on the support abutments.

5. Install the sleeve bolt and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).

6. Install the cable support bracket (with the cable attached) with the bolt and washer. Tighten the bolt to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).

7. Remove the two lug nuts retaining the rotor.

8. Install the wheel and tire assembly, aligning the marks made during removal.

9. Carefully lower the vehicle, then firmly depress the brake pedal 3 times to seat the pads against the rotors.

Here is how the caliper goes if needed!

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Caliper installation-1995 vehicle shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: When suspending the caliper, make sure to use a suitable piece of wire

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Position the piston slots for caliper installation

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

2. Matchmark the relationship of the wheel to the axle flange. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.

3. Reinstall two lug nuts to retain the rotor.

4. If the caliper is being removed from the vehicle for replacement or overhaul, perform the following:

1. Disconnect the brake hose from the caliper. Plug the opening in the caliper and the brake hose to prevent fluid loss and system contamination.

2. Detach the parking brake cable by lifting up on one end of the cable spring clip to free the end of the cable from the lever.

5. Remove the bolt and washer attaching the cable support brake to the caliper body assembly.

6. Remove the sleeve bolt, then remove the caliper body assembly. Pivot the caliper body up to clear the rotor and then slide it inboard OFF the pin sleeve.

7. If the caliper is being removed for shoe and lining replacement or to provide access to the support bracket, rotor of wheel brake components, hang the caliper from suspension using a suitable wire hook so as not to stretch or damage the brake hose or brake cable.

8. Inspect the pin boot, bolt boot and sleeve for cuts, tears or deterioration. If damaged, replace the boots.

To install:

1. Install the caliper assembly, as follows:

1. If not replaced, remove the pin boot from the caliper body assembly and install the small end over the pint sleeve (installed on the caliper support) until the boot seats in the pin groove. This is to prevent cutting the pin boot when the sliding body assembly onto the pin sleeve.

2. Hold the caliper body assembly in position it was removed and start over the end of the pin sleeve. As the caliper body assembly approaches the pin boot, work the large end of the pin boot in the caliper body groove. Then push the caliper body fully onto the pin.

3. Pivot the caliper body assembly down, using care not to damage the piston boot on the inboard shoe. Compress the sleeve boot by hand as the caliper body move into position to prevent boot damage.

4. After the caliper body assembly is in position, recheck the installation of the pad clips. If necessary, use a small prytool to re-seat or center the pad clips on the support abutments.

2. Install the sleeve bolt and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).

3. Fasten the cable support bracket (with the cable attached) with the retaining bolts and washer. Tighten to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).

4. If disconnected, attach the end of the parking brake cable to the parking brake lever by lifting up on the end of the cable spring clip and work the end of the parking brake cable into the notch in the lever.

5. Unplug and attach the brake hose, if it was disconnected.

6. Remove the two lug nuts retaining the rotor.

7. Install the wheel and tire assembly, aligning the marks made during removal.

8. Carefully lower the vehicle, then bleed the brake system if the brake hose was disconnected.

9. Firmly depress the brake pedal 3 times to seat the pads against the rotors.