FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH

An 2004 3500 5.9 cummins..blow..doesnt happen..getting more frequent

Customer Question

i have an 2004 3500 5.9 cummins i am having oil blow out the blow by tube it doesnt happen all the time but it is getting more frequent. and it seems to always have some smoke comming out it
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer you may need to change the crankcase filter. It is at the opposite end of the breather tube. It may be overly saturated with oil. Also if you are getting excess smoke from the exhaust you may have a different problem.
graphic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the excess smoke is comming from the blowby tube is that normal when it warms up. and is this veiw for the 04 5.9. im going to check it out now i will let you know. thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok i pulled it off how do i tell if it is bad it is really light doesnt have a filter in it
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Is there anything inside of it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok there is no filter in it not supposed to be as far as i can tell any other ideas
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
DO you get much smoke from the tailpipe?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
only when it is cold and when you really get down on the throttle hard
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
And does the smoke that comes out of the blow by seem to happen more often when it is cold?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it comes out all the time
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
im not to worried about the blow by smoke as much the oil blowing out of the tube is covering the underneith of the truck do you think if i replace the crankcase canister it will stop it. i took it off and it doesnt seem to amount to much
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
No, if it is not full in any way then there is no reason to replace it. The oil level is not overful in any way, correct? When was the last oil change performed and how many miles are on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
130k it is not over full had oil changed 1000miles ago had to ad 3 quarts 400miles ago
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
When you pull the breather off there should be a drain hole to drain oil back to the crankcase. Make sure that it is clear for the oil to flow. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it seem to be clear on the breather but i have no way to check the line at this time will check in the morning
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Let me know when you check. Also make sure the air filter on the vehicle is clean?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: i took it to the deisal mechanic and will no somthing today he has said it can be 2 things turbo is bad creating to much crank case preasure or the rings are bad. i will let you know
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
Okay. Let me know. I find it hard to believe the rings can be bad with so few miles for a diesel. If the turbo was bad it would usually cause too much exhaust smoke too.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it smokes like real bad when it is cold white and grey when its warm and you get down on it hard or pulling a load
Expert:  FixItMan replied 7 years ago.
If that is the case it just may be running too rich. These trucks commonly need to computer reprogrammed to level out the fuel.