Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: car keys..lock unlock button thing also.

Customer Question

I lost my car keys to my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP! It had the lock unlock button thing also. How much will it cost to replace it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.

There are several different styles of remote transmitter key fobs used on GM products; depending on which exact part number you had, the cost ranges from about $45 to around $65 for a new transmitter.

The cost of a replacement key is around $5.

On this model year, if you call your local GM dealership parts department they can cut a new key for your vehicle without having the old one to copy. All they need is the vehicle's VIN number (on your registration card, or visible on a small plate on the top of the dash on the drivers side if you look in through the windshield). If you call them and give them this number, they can determine exactly what transmitter is required, and can look up your key cutting information very quickly. Then, you can get a ride there and pick up your new key and transmitter; no call to a locksmith or tow truck is required. You will likely need to take along proof of ownership of the vehicle (such as a registration card and drivers license) if they do not know you before they will sell you the key though. Also, after you get the car started you will need to program the new transmitter to the vehicle before it will operate.

Here is the transmitter programming procedure:

Perform the following steps:

1. Sit in the vehicle driver's seat.
  2. Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
  3. Close all of the vehicle's doors.
  4. Remove the MALL PGM fuse from the fuse panel.
  5. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ACC position.
  6. Turn the ignition lock cylinder OFF, then back to ACC within 1 second .
  7. Open and then close any vehicle door. You will hear a chime when the remote control door lock receiver enters the programming/diagnostic mode. If you do not hear a chime, start again at step 1. IMPORTANT: After 7 seconds , you may hear a chime confirming successful synchronization. After approximately 14 seconds , you will hear a chime confirming successful programming.
  8. Press and hold the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 14 seconds .
  9. Repeat step 8 in order to program each additional transmitter.
  10. Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
  11. Install the MALL PGM fuse back into the fuse panel. Validate that all the transmitters that were programmed operate properly.

I hope this is helpful and gets you back on the road with a minimum of expense and trouble; if so, please click my accept button and leave positive feedback! Thanks!

Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.
I have noticed that you have not yet accepted the answer I provided to your question; is there some way I can be of further assistance? If so, please let me know; if not, then please click my accept button to complete the transaction! Thanks!