Mike, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, ASE L1 Advanced Performance, Shop Owner
3417878

Engine loses power under load or accerlation

runs smooth when idles but when you accererate it is sluggish no power than will slowly kick in
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 9 years ago.

Hello WALKER,

I would like to help but we need some more information

Year, make, model, engine?

What has been done?

How many miles?

Any other problems it has that may be usefull information to help isolate the problem

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The car is a 2001 Buick Regal with the V6 3.8 lt engine not super charged and it has roughly 115,000 miles . Was running great and than this problem started out of blue.

I have replaced the fuel filter and checked plugs they looj good and are gapped to manual specs. new air filter and have run a couple of doses of injector cleaner through.

Have tried to replace pvc but can not find location of it. any ideas?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 years ago.

Right up my alley

Glad its not some Izuzu or something like that.

There are a few areas we want to focus on and verify that they are OK with this vehicle. First off I also must assume the Check Engine light is off because you didnt bring it up.

If it feels smooth but just wont go meaning you dont feel it miss or backfire the first thing to check is the fuel pressure when driving. The pump may be able to develope enough pressure to start and run but not enough to power the engine when under load. Simply attatch a gauge to the pressure port on the fuel rail, tape the gauge where you can read it, and route the hose so it wont be pinched when the hood is lowered. If the pressure drops off from the reading at idle you have found your problem. You should have 52 -59 psi with key on engine off. It will drop 5 lbs or so from there when running. If fuel pressure is OK and you hear a hissing type noise and it acts similar to what I have described to you then you may have a problem with the catalytic convertor plugging up or broken blocking the pipe.

If it is rough when accellerating meaning it jerks as you pull away from the stop and then smooths out at upper rpm then we have an ignition problem. It would also feel smooth when cruising then when you give it a little throttle it would stumble and feel rough. This most often is caused by a failed spark plug wire. Remove the wires at each end and use a flash light to look down the boots inside. If you see a sooty black one you have found your problem.

The PCV valve will not cause this problem

If there are any other symptoms let me know

Positive feedback is really appreciated "ACCEPTED" makes my day!Smile

Olds Master Tech and Buick Service Master for 15 years!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Mike's Post: Can you tell me where I would locate the PCV value anyway. Will check these things out.
Expert:  replied 9 years ago.

Ok,

On the left hand side of the intake manifold as you are looking at the engine from the front. ( After you have removed the plastic shield) Close to the rear of the alternator you will see a piece that can be removed by rotating it about 1/4 turn counter clock wise. Underneath that cover you will find the valve.graphic

In this picture right where the threaded portion for the alternator bolt. The cap that has the 2 slots in it is what you are looking for

Positive feedback is really appreciated, "ACCEPTED" makes my day!Smile

If you need any more information I will follow up