Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

96 olds aurora: no tail-lights, dash-lights, fog lights..fuses

Customer Question

I am woking on a '96 olds aurora. I have no tail-lights, dash-lights, fog lights, or side lights. All fuses seem to work. I suspect the light sensors, but don't know how to check it. I also wonder how to check the switch for the lights.
Category: Car
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 9 years ago.

All your lights are controlled with the light control module. This is essentially a computer that turns the lights on and off depending on the switch's inputs.

To test the switch...

Make sure that the switch has a good ground. (black/white wire). The switch supples a ground to the Lighting control module when the switch turned on (Gray/black wire) the lighting control module then turns on the parking lamps (brown wire out of the module).

To test the module...

At the lighting control module check the orange/black wire for 12v. Also check the orange wire for 12V. If the switch grounds are there and the powers are good, the lighting control module is bad.

Here are a couple of wiring diagrams to help you out. If you have any questions, PLEASE ask. Some of these parts are expensive, so ask if you are unsure of something.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
where is the module located

Your lamp control module is located LH side of the dash under the instrument panel. Sorry for the long response. Let me know if there is anything else.

graphic