Frank
Frank, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  33 years experience,25 with GM,14 ASE certifications,
1816887

1969 Ford F250: V8..grinding noise in the lower gears..horsepower

Customer Question

(1969 Ford F250 w/ 302 shortblock V8)

I ask because I'm hearing a grinding noise in the lower gears and it has suddenly become more stiff. Also, horsepower seems to be lower recently
Category: Car
Expert:  Frank replied 9 years ago.
The clutch cable would be stretching and you would need to be constantly adjusting it for the proper free play in the clutch pedal. A clutch problem would be most noticeable when shifting into 1st or reverse at a stop,you can shift a manual without a clutch once you find the engine speed and road speed that matches and it will shift quite easily. A noise in 1st or 2nd gear only sounds like a bearing in the counter shaft in the transmsion.3rd is direct and the input to output shafts are locked bypassing the countershaft.