ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Certified advanced level engine performance

I have a 2004 mazda mpv mini van and the check engine light ...

Customer Question

I have a 2004 mazda mpv mini van and the check engine light came on and it is sputtering. I took it to autozone and they hooked up there little machine on it and said it was misfiring on number 5 does that mean I need to change my spark plugs and wires and if so how difficult is it since they have the boot instead of changing the whole wire. I can't afford to pay anthing right now that's why I have to put them in myself. single mom
Category: Car
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
If you have a single cylinder misfire, there are quite a few different factors that can cause this. Your van has whats called coil on plug ignition, and most likely, the number 5 coil has failed you. This failing coil also most likely has fouled out your number 5 spark plug as well. Your van doesn't have spark plug wires. This problem is very easy to repair yourself, if you would like to give it a try. The number 5 cylinder is the one in the front center. Here's a diagram for you:

The hardest thing you will have to do is to get to the coil. You will need to remove the plastic shield over the motor, and possibly a few other small things, just to get at it. There's one bolt that holds the coil down, remove it and the connector going to the coil. Pull the coil out. You may also want to change the spark plug while you're there, as it's going to be fouled. Assemble in reverse order.

The coil will vary in price. Dealership cost is about $60. The spark plug will run a few bucks.

Let me know if you have any more questions!