ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Certified advanced level engine performance

1991 olds cutlass ciera: steering column, the tabs..mechanically

1991 olds cutlass ciera, on the steering column, the "tabs" that assist the operator in turning the key have broken off, mechanically everything is fine its just too difficult for my 72 year old mother to turn the key. Can this part(s) be replaced, what is it called, how much should we expect to pay a mechanic to do this??
Category: Car
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
The part you are talking about is actually part of the lock cylinder assembly, and you will need to change the lock cylinder to fix this part. The lock cylinder is about $40 and the labor calls for about an hour to install. You will have to call around to the shops in your area to get an exact labor cost, as labor rates vary depending on location.

Let me know if you have any more questions!