ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Certified advanced level engine performance
2207141

How do I replace the starter on my 1995 BMW 318i

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
Hi!
Here's the listed repair procedure for you:

Disconnect battery earth lead.
graphic

Remove the terminals from the starter:
1. Terminal 30
2. Terminal 30h
3. Terminal 50

Unscrew bolts:
graphic

Release starter screw, working from above.

graphic

* Position of upper screw between suction unit and firewall.
* Remove guide tube for oil dipstick.
* Unscrew screw.

graphic

* Release starter screw, working from below.

graphic
* Remove starter in downwards direction.
* Remove starter motor from crown wheel.

graphic

* Turn starter until solenoid switch is at top.

graphic
* Pivot starter down on its mounts.

CAUTION : Do not damage leads.

Install in reverse order.
Let me know if you have any more questions!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ttiger79's Post: Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX need a little more guidance. is the starter directly behind the engine? I cant find it. I look down where the arrow is in diagram 2 but there is no room to see between the engine and the wall. Is the starter screw actually a screw or a bolt as I could not find this either. Is it on the drivers side or the passenger side? You recommend removing the dipstick guide. This is on the drivers side, but yur arrow in diagram 2 indicates the passenger side.Please be as specific as possible. I'll double the $15 for your help.
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 9 years ago.
The starter is on the driver's side rear of the motor. You may have to remove a plastic cover off the top of the motor to see things better. The screws they describe in the procedure are the bolts that hold the starter to the block. You have to access one from the top and one from the bottom, then the starter needs to be tipped as described in the last few steps and pulled out through the bottom. Here's a diagram of the transmission bellhousing:
graphic

There is no real good picture that I can find for the location of the starter, but if you look at the diagram, just above the number 2, you will see a half circle in the transmission bellhousing. This is where the starter sits in relation to your transmission (driver's side.) The two bolts are also shown on the left and right side of this half circle.

Make absolute sure you have the negative side of the battery disconnected before removing the three wires connected to the starter, too, as one of these wires is constantly hot, and you could short your battery. The oil dipstick needs to be removed to gain access to the upper bolt in the starter. I'm not exactly sure why the picture shows the arrow on the right side of the engine..... I'm confused on that one, too. Sorry about that.

Just let me know if you have any more questions!