Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.

what should i do if my car stalls going through deep water

Customer Question

My wife was driving our 2001 Chevy Malibu while it was raining. She was on a back road and it started flooding. The water rose too fast and she started driving through it. She made it 3/4 of the way before the car stalled out. She did not try to restart the car. We waited until the next morning to try to start the car but all it did was clank. There is power for lights and you can listen to the radio. What should I do first to fix the car.
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 9 years ago.
Remove all the spark plugs and the air filter and spin the engine over to pump out any water in the cylinders. Clean or replace the spark plugs and make sure the rest of the engine and electrical componentrs are dry, then try to start it agian.