Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

The last time I drove my 2002 GMC Yukon XL the security ...

The last time I drove my 2002 GMC Yukon XL the security light was on and no the engine will crank , but will not start.

These are troublesome with the security system. First, try to reset the security system.

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).

If this happens again, the dealer has sent a TSB (technical service bulletin) out on this problem. Contact your dealer and see if they can do someting under warranty.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If this doesn't work do I need to tow it to a dealer or is there something else to try.

Towing it to the dealer might be an option. However, wait a full 10 minutes between each start attempt. This resets the security system (relearns the passlock code). Make sure your battery is fully charged. how mad would you be if you spend 50 bucks on towing and 90 bucks for a dealer to reset the system? Give it a try. Is your security light blinking?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, the security light is blinking

Then the light is blinking, that means that the security system is on. (engaged and not letting the car start). Follow the reset procedures and it starts 90% of the time. However, if it does not start, yes, you have a problem and will have to spend mucho dinero at the dealer.

Follow these directions EXACTLY as stated and you should save you some bucks.

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure

If this soes not work, yes you can test to see if you have spark and fuel. However, if your security light came on and is now blinking, the security system is what's keeping your car from starting and you will not have fuel. Try resetting it. If it does not start, you have a passkey sensor, pcm, bcm, or a wiring problem. Yes, dealer will be required to repair this problem.