Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic

I left my car door open..drained..totally dead..battery charger

I left my car door open. The battery was drained but not totally dead. I put a battery charger on the battery-when I did this it registered that the battery was fully charged. I left it on overnight-the battery was totally dead the next day. Tried to push it out of the garage to jump the car. When I turned the key on to switch to neutral it would not shift to neutral at all. Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 9 years ago.

If the battery is totally dead the brake switch will not work, therefore you cant get it out park,,,,great idea huh?

It sounds like the battery has gotton so drained that it may have an internal short, and will not work. I would not trust it at all.. I would suggest just replacing it and have the charging system checked to make sure it is charging the new battery. Autozone or CarQuest will test this for free.