Car Nut
Car Nut, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Auto Parts, Wheel Interchange, Diagnostics for over 20 Years
823904

Replace a water pump 1996 pontiac Grand Am

Customer Question

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4 engine
Category: Car
Expert:  Car Nut replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Water Pump

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.4L Engine
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain and recycle the engine coolant. < border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" wid="400"> <> < align="center">Fig. 3: Exploded view of the water pump and mounting on the engine — 2.4L engine

graphic

3. Disconnect the oxygen sensor wiring.
  4. Remove the upper exhaust manifold heat shield.
  5. Raise and safely support the front end of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
  6. Remove the exhaust manifold brace bolt.
  7. Unbolt and remove the lower exhaust manifold heat shield.
  8. Break loose the manifold-to-exhaust pipe spring loaded nuts.
  9. Unbolt the radiator outlet pipe assembly from the water pump cover.
  10. Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold.
  11. Pull down and back on the exhaust pipe to disengage it from the exhaust manifold bolts.

NOTE: Do not rotate the flex coupling more than 4°. this could damage the component.

12. Separate the radiator outlet pipe from the oil pan and transaxle.
    1. On manual transaxle, remove the exhaust manifold brace.
  13. Next, leave the lower radiator hose attached and pull down on the outlet pipe to detach it from the water pump. Allow the outlet pipe to hang.
  14. Lower the vehicle.
  15. Remove the exhaust manifold-to-cylinder head nuts.
  16. Extract the manifold, seals and gaskets.
  17. Remove the timing chain cover. Refer to the procedure later on in this section.
  18. Remove the timing chain tensioner. Refer to Timing Chain removal later in this section.
  19. Unbolt the water pump from the cylinder block.
  20. Extract the pump assembly-to-timing chain housing nuts.
  21. Remove the water pump and cover assembly.
  22. Separate the pump from the cover.
  23. Clean all mating surfaces of gaskets and sealant materials.

To install:

NOTE: Prior to installing the water pump, read the entire procedure. Pay special attention to the tightening sequence to avoid component damage and ensure a proper seal.

24. Attach the water pump to the cover and hand-tighten the components.
  25. Lubricate the splines of the water pump drive with chassis grease or equivalent, then install the pump and cover assembly. Hand tighten the cover-to-block bolts.
  26. Install the pump-to-chain housing nuts and hand-tighten.
  27. Lubricate the O-ring on the radiator outlet pipe with an anti-freeze solution and slide the pipe into the water pump cover, install and hand-tighten the bolts.
  28. With the specified gaps, tighten in sequence as follows:
    1. Pump assembly-to-chain housing nuts
    2. Pump cover-to-pump assembly
    3. Cover-to-block, bottom bolt first
    4. Radiator outlet pipe assembly-to-cover
  29. Install the exhaust manifold using new gaskets.
  30. Install the manifold-to-cylinder head nuts, follow the tightening sequence and tighten to specifications.
  31. Raise and support the front of the vehicle.
  32. Index the exhaust manifold-to-exhaust pipe flange bolts.
    1. Turn bolt bolts in evenly to avoid cocking the exhaust pipe and binding the bolts. Turn the bolts in until they are fully seated.
  33. Install and secure the radiator outlet pipe to the transaxle and oil pan.

NOTE: On manual transaxles, install the exhaust manifold brace.

34. Install the timing chain tensioner and chain cover.
  35. Attach the lower heat shield.
  36. Lower the vehicle.
  37. Attach the exhaust manifold brace. Tighten the manifold-to-exhaust pipe nuts to specification.
  38. Attach and secure the upper heat shield.
  39. Connect the oxygen sensor wiring.
  40. Fill the radiator with coolant water mixture until it reaches the heater hose coolant outlet, then install the hose and continue to fill. This will assist with the complete cylinder block fill.
  41. Connect the negative battery cable.
  42. Start the engine and top off the cooling system and check for leaks.