NissanInfinitiTech
NissanInfinitiTech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  7 years dealership experience, ASE certified, Import specailist.
2500263

how do i treat bad gas in my car

Customer Question

I put bad gas into my 1996 Nissan Sentra now it won't start and stay on. How do I fix this?
Category: Car
Expert:  NissanInfinitiTech replied 10 years ago.
suck all of the gas out of the tank that you can, fill it with good higher octane gas, and see if you can run some through it by keeping your foot somewhat on the accelerator. Bad gas could be diesel, or gas that sat for years, or something like that. The possibility that gas froma gas station did this is not very good. But try just making it run good gas for a while, and see if you can get it to clear out. Also, try hooking a bottle of water up through a vacuum hose once you get it running, and hooking it into the vacuum on your brake booster. It cleans some carbon build up off that may have occured while there was bad gas.