Dan, Automotive Management
Experience:  36 Plus Years of Direct Automotive Experience

2006 chevrolet cobalt ss: oil change..the oil filter located..L

Customer Question

I purchased a 2006 chevrolet coblat ss for my daughter and i am ready to do the oil change and filter. The qeustion is where is the oil filter located on this model w/ a 2.4 L engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 10 years ago.

Look in the owners manual under use and care (maintnenance). Tthe owners manual will tell you how much oil is required with a filter change and where the filter is located. They sometimes include a picture of that location. You also want to use the recommended viscosity oil. DO NOT use a heavy weight oil if it calls for the usual 5W30.

Good Luck

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: The manual does not show me where the oil filter is located. I checked there first!
Expert:  Dan replied 10 years ago.

Did you look at the rear part of the engine between the firewall and the engine block? The filter is normally on the lower part of the engine block below the manifold. Some of these filters are very difficult to see and you have to work from under the car to gain access.

Let me know....

Expert:  Dan replied 10 years ago.

I have been informaed that the filter is: The cobalt oil filter is a canister filter it is up right in front of the engine driver side toward radiator. big black screw on cap.

Mazda uses this type of configuration.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: I've just found where the filter is located and changed it. For your future reference, the new 2006 COBALT SS w/ a 2.4L engine has the oil filter on the top side of the engine. It is under a plastic cowling near the dip stick. It is not your usual filter. It is one in which you only have to replace the inner filament , I guess that is what you wuold call it. The outer housing of the filter is molded with the engine block. Thanks for trying to help. Better luick next time. Have run back and add the oil now.
Expert:  Dan replied 10 years ago.

Hi Ed

We missed each other, you were out changing the oil whan I posted the same thing you found out. We should be going forward with this stuff not backwards...