Red
Red, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with 20 Years of Automotive experience.
2197973

How to change u joints on a 2001 dodge ram 1500, 4x4, ...

Customer Question

How to change u joints on a 2001 dodge ram 1500, 4x4, 5.9 engine...Front axle
Category: Car
Expert:  Red replied 8 years ago.
Hi

This will help you get the job done.

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Remove brake caliper and rotor. Refer to Brakes and Traction Control for procedures.
  4. Remove ABS wheel speed sensor if equipped. Refer to Brakes and Traction Control for procedures.
  5. Remove the cotter pin and axle hub nut.

1. Remove hub bearing bolts (Fig. 22) and remove hub bearing from the steering knuckle.
  2. Remove brake dust shield from knuckle.
  3. Remove axle shaft from the housing. Avoid damaging the axle shaft oil seal.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean axle shaft and apply a thin film of Mopar wheel bearing Grease to the shaft splines, seal contact surface, hub bore.
  2. Install axle shaft into the housing and differential side gears. Avoid damaging axle shaft oil seals in the differential.
  3. Install dust shield and hub bearing on knuckle.
  4. Install hub bearing bolts and tighten to 170 Nm (125 ft. lbs.) .
  5. Install axle washer and nut, tighten nut to 237 Nm (175 ft. lbs.) . Align nut to next cotter pin hole and install new cotter pin.
  6. Install ABS wheel speed sensor, brake rotor and caliper. Refer to Brakes and Traction Control for proper procedures.
  7. Install wheel and tire assembly.
  8. Remove support and lower the vehicle.

This is for the U-Joints

CAUTION: Clamp only the narrow forged portion of the yoke in the vise. To avoid distorting the yoke, do not over tighten the vise jaws.

1. Remove the bearing cap retaining snap rings (Fig. 30). NOTE: Saturate the bearing caps with penetrating oil prior to removal.
  2. Locate a socket with an inside diameter is larger than the bearing cap. Place the socket (receiver) against the yoke and around the perimeter of the bearing cap to be removed.
  3. Locate a socket with an outside diameter is smaller than the bearing cap. Place the socket (driver) against the opposite bearing cap.

Position the yoke with the sockets in a vise (Fig. 31).
Tighten the vise jaws to force the bearing cap into the larger socket (receiver).
Release the vise jaws. Remove the sockets and bearing cap that was partially forced out of the yoke.
Repeat the above procedure for the remaining bearing cap and remove spider from the propeller shaft yoke.

INSTALLATION

Pack the bearing caps 1/3 full of wheel bearing lubricant. Apply extreme pressure (EP) , lithium-base lubricant to aid in installation.
Position the spider in the yoke. Insert the seals and bearings. Tap the bearing caps into the yoke bores far enough to hold the spider in position.
Place the socket (driver) against one bearing cap. Position the yoke with the socket in a vise.
Tighten the vise to force the bearing caps into the yoke. Force the caps enough to install the retaining clips.
Install the bearing cap retaining clips.
Install axle shaft.