Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
1609972

1990 Subaru Legacy: thermostat..it sits under the manifold

How do you replace the thermostat on a 1990 Subaru Legacy? It seems very complicated where it sits under the manifold. Can I attempt this repair myself?
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 8 years ago.

That will depend on your Mechanical Ability.
Unless you have a Drive On Rack, you will have to lay Down for most of the Repair.

.2L and 2.5L Engines

See Figures 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Loosen the radiator draincock ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: ... and drain the coolant into a suitable container

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Loosen and remove the thermostat housing retainer bolts

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Detach the housing to reveal the thermostat and gasket

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Remove the thermostat and gasket assembly

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Loosen the bleeder screw on top of the radiator to bleed air from the cooling system

1. Drain the cooling system into a suitable container.

2. Remove the thermostat case cover located in the lower portion of the water pump. Remove the thermostat retainer bolts.

3. Remove the housing, thermostat and the gasket. Note the placement and direction of the thermostat for ease of installation.

To install:

1. For turbocharged models, install the thermostat with the jiggle valve at the 12 o'clock position.

2. For non-turbo models, install the thermostat with the jiggle valve facing down.

3. Install the housing with a new gasket, and tighten the bolts to 52-61 inch lbs. (6-7 Nm).

4. Fill and bleed the cooling system.

5. Check the system for coolant leaks.

Experience: Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.