Tim Basham
Tim Basham, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  30 year multi line tech ASE cert master tech ASE engine machinist. Specializing in 4WD +++
745518

I MISTAKENLY PUT KEROSENE INTO MY LAWNMOWER INSTEAD OF GASOLINE

IF I MISTAKENLY PUT KEROSENE INTO MY LAWNMOWER INSTEAD OF GASOLINE, IS THE ENGINE RUINED? IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO UNDO THE DAMAMGE?
The kerosene should not do any mechanical damage to the engine but it can damage the rubber inside the carburetor. usually what you have done if done quick enough is all that will need to be done to correct this. It will smoke for awhile because you will still have some kerosene in the fuel system even after draining it. If the kerosene was left in for a period of time it may cause the rubber in the carburetor to swell and will require carb overhaul/replacement.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Tim Basham's Post: the kerosene was only in the fuel tank for about an hour, when we discovered that it was not gasoline, at which point we removed it. we still can't get the lawnmower to start, even after replacing the spark plug. any suggestions on what to try next?
I would pull the plug and inspect it and see if it looks wet. Crank engine over a few times and then put new plug in it again and see if it will start. What will happen is the contaminated fuel can foul the new plug causing the no start condition. you may have to do this several times to get all the fouled fuel out to get strong enough gas mixture to properly ignite with the spark. You may also try to spray small amounts of carb cleaner into the carb to see if it tries to start. if it does try to start the it will one enough good fuel gets into engine.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Tim Basham's Post: THANKS FOR YOUR QUICK RESPNSE. I WILL TRY REPLACING THER SPARK PLUG AGAIN & TEH CARB CLEANER SPRY. THANKS

Thanks for the accept and good luck they can be fun to get all the fouled fuel out but once it is all out it should be fine.