Firsthogman
Firsthogman, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 years as a mechanic on all type equipment.

1991 Acura Legend: I change the oil

Customer Question

How do I change the oil in my 1991 Acura Legend? And could I Have step by step pictures?
Category: Car
Expert:  Firsthogman replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JA,

OIL AND FILTER CHANGE

See Figures 5, 6 and 7

Oil changes should be performed at intervals as described in your owners manual. However, it is a good idea to change the oil and oil filter at least three to four times a year depending on how many miles the car is driven. If your car is being used under dusty conditions, change the oil and filter sooner. The same thing goes for cars being driven in stop and go city traffic, where acid and sludge buildup is a problem. The oil should also be changed more frequently in cars which are constantly driven at high speeds on expressways. The relatively high engine speeds associated with turnpike driving mean higher operating temperatures and a greater instance of oil foaming.

Always drain the oil after the engine has been run long enough to bring it to the normal operating temperature. Hot oil will flow easier and more contaminants will be removed with the oil than if it were drained cold. A large capacity drain pan, which can be purchased at any automotive supply store, will be more than paid back by savings from do-it-yourself oil changes. Another necessity is containers for the used oil. You will find that plastic bleach containers make excellent storage bottles.

To change the oil and filter:

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Removing the oil filter using an end type oil filter wrench-Integra

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Removing the oil filter using an end type oil filter wrench-Legend and Vigor

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: The oil drain plug is located in the oil pan, always install a new drain plug washer when changing the oil

1. Run the engine until it reaches the normal operating temperature. Raise and safely support the front of the car.

2. Remove the filler cap, wipe it off and set it to the side.

3. Slide a drain pan under the oil pan drain plug.

4. Loosen the drain plug with a socket or box wrench, and then remove it by hand. Push in on the plug as you turn it out, so that no oil escapes until the plug is completely removed.

5. Allow the oil to drain into the pan.

6. Clean and install the drain plug, making sure that the gasket is still on the plug. Tighten the drain plug to 25-33 ft. lbs. (34-44 Nm).

7. Refill the engine with oil and replace the filler cap. Start the engine and check for leaks.

The car manufacturer recommends changing the oil filter at every other oil change, but it is more beneficial to replace the filter every time the oil is changed. Aside from the obvious improved filtration that a new filter affords, what most people don't realize is that a quantity of the old oil remains in the filter at all times. If the oil filter is not changed with the oil, the old, contaminated oil has a chance to mix with and dilute the new oil. Not renewing the oil filter at every oil change, in reality, only constitutes a partial oil change.