Wydranator, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in automotive, motorcycle and small engine repair.

Chevy Venture Brake Problem!!!

Customer Question

Chevy Venture Brake Problem that has me ready to take the bridge!
I took my 1999 Chevy Venture to shop because my brake pedal would actually go to the floor and I almost rear ended someone. Before it was all over I have spent over $800 on repairs and answers to these questions. Replaced the Ceramic pads although the original pads still had about half of the pad left. They told me the master cylinder was leaking and leaked into the power booster so they where both changed. The two rear brake cylinders where changed out because they where leaking a very little. The lines have been bled about three times now and rear brakes adjusted. Had a speed sensor changed, then they couldn't get the ABS and TCS lights to clear from the computer. Finally they got those to clear after about two days. They called me today and said it was done and I could pick it up. I went to pick it up and the brake pedal is still going to the floor whereas when I got this van I had a firm pedal about halfway down. I got brakes but don't know how good they actually are with all the travel in the pedal. So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is after all the work the brakes seem the same as they where when I took it to the shop! Can anyone out there tell why after all that has been done to this vehicle that the pedal travels so far. PS if this only goes back to the Chevy Man im sorry, I know you gave me what you know but I was just wondering if anybody else had a similar problem out there that may be able to enlighten me a little before I have to spend another $800. I thought this was getting posted to the main board! Frustrated in Vestaburg, PA
Category: Car
Expert:  Wydranator replied 10 years ago.

I have done hiundreds of brake jobs and no matter how good a job I have done, the pedal is always a little low and spongy.

But after a few days to a couple of weeks, it always comes back up and gets firmer. (Don't ask me why)

Drive it for a while, and unless the brake light comes on or the pedal goes lower, wait and see if you get your pedal back OK?