RonRepair
RonRepair, Auto Mechanic/Tech
Experience:  40 years of experience on all makes, 15 yrs. ASE Master Tech, 5 yrs. Certified Toyota Tech
1621395

When I press my brakes I hear a sound like air escaping and ...

When I press my brakes I hear a sound like air escaping and sometimes my car has difficulty stopping as it should.
A vacuum leak in the power brake booster will cause a hissing noise when apply the brakes. It can also give you a hard peddle when you lose the power assist.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to RonRepair's Post: What part needs to be replaced to repair this problem?
The brake booster is the part that needs to be replaced. This could be available is a re-manufactured part depending on what type of car it is. It is located on the firewall (drivers side), behind the master cylinder on most vehicles.