RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Smog - European, Domestic, & Asian -- Car Category Mentor

my car wont start. It is a 2005 Cadillac CTS.

my car won't start. It is a 2005 Cadillac CTS. It is not the battery and when i try and start it, the car just makes a clicking noise. Any ideas what the problem is??
Category: Car
Expert:  RIP replied 10 years ago.

How many miles are on this vehicle?

How has the battery been tested?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to RIP's Post: The car has about 28,000 miles and the battery has not been tested, but when I turn the key everything goes on in the car, but it doesn't start. The check engine like just keeps clicking and it keeps making a clicking noise.
Expert:  RIP replied 10 years ago.

This very well can be a weak or shorted battery issue. Although the instrumentations and lamps illuminate, the engine starter may not have enough power to turn the engine. It requires the largest amount of power than any other component on the vehicle. The first item to check is the battery cables for being tight. GM had a issue with there side post style batteries, which the cables become slightly loose and will cause this same concern. If the cables are tight, try to have the battery charged and tested or jumped started. If the battery is internally sorted, it will not accept a jump start. One other item to check is be sure the "Security" or any other anti-theft lamp doesn't flash while your trying to crank the engine, this can mean the system has disabled the engine.