Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician

catalytic converter does not get hot enough.

1998 Grand Am GT. The emission test failed because the catalytic converter is not getting hot enough. My question is how can you increase the heat or find out what is causing the lack of heat. My local mechanic has tried running the car to make the converter heat up but nothing seems to work. The car runs great so I feel it has to be a very simple solution to this problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Davo replied 7 years ago.
Is your emission test a tail pipe test or OBD 2?What makes this mechanic think the convertor is not getting hot enough?How many miles are on the car?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Davo's Post: OBD test, the test results say catalyst-not ready, Evap- not ready,
My mechanic feels the converter is not heating up enough. I don't know why he said that. Maybe he is going by the test results.
The car has 84,927 miles.
I do not drive it for long distances. Only to work, school, and back which is start and stop traffic all within a 30 miles round trip. My mechanic feels it needs to be driven more and that could be causing the converter problem,
resulting in the emission test failure.
Expert:  Davo replied 7 years ago.
I'm going to give you the proceedure to run the evap and catalyst monitors.I don't know what state you are in but in Pa. if you can't get the monitors to run in a fair amount of time and mileage you call the emission division and ask them to escalate the case.When you do that they will decide if a emssion sticker or pass will given without the monitors running.The emission inspector has to request it be escalated not you.At some point you must have had a dead battery or someone cleared a diagnostic trouble code or something.In Pa you would have passed with two monitors not ready on that year car.This is what you need to do.After the car has sat overnight or for six hours or so.Start the car and let it idle for two minutes.Then drive to a road where you can drive 55 mph for at least 5 minutes 8 would be better.Then pull over and keep it in drive with your foot on the brake for 5 minutes.Then you can turn around from where your at and do the same thing again on the way back.Don't turn the key off after you have started the proceedure or you will have to start over.This will run the monitors for you.The only way you will fail after that is if the evap or catalyst set a code.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician