Zukiman
Zukiman, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Master Technician
447401

99 dodge: Interior dome lights stay on constantly..switches..fuses

Customer Question

99 dodge ram-Interior dome lights stay on constantly. I replaced the door jam switches...what possible problem areas do I need to investigate? fuses have been checked out as well...please help!
Category: Car
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
99 dodge ram 1500 5.9 4X4-interior lights stay on all the time. door jam switches have been replaced and all fuses have been checked out. Help! Please
Expert:  Zukiman replied 10 years ago.

The door switches have been replaced, that only leaves two possibilities. The main headlamp switch or a short to ground.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Zukiman's Post: what does a short to ground mean? and, is it difficult/costly to replace the main head lamp switch? thanks
Expert:  Brian W. replied 10 years ago.
Do you have an overhead console, or just a dome lamp?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Brian W.'s Post: an overhead console with 2 lights. one on each side that can be manually turned on as well.
Expert:  Brian W. replied 10 years ago.
It sounds like you have a problem with your central timer module, this recives a switch sense from your door ajar switches.an910512 ________________________________________________
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Brian W.'s Post: ok...thanks for the diagram, but what exactly am i looking at? where exactly is this switch located? basically, how do i get there?
Expert:  Brian W. replied 10 years ago.
Sorry, The module is under the seat.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Brian W.'s Post: one last stupid question...driver's or passenger's? thanks!!!
Expert:  Brian W. replied 10 years ago.

Drivers seat, no problem.

_______________________________________

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Brian W.'s Post: ok...i could not find it under the driver's seat...are you sure?
Expert:  Brian W. replied 10 years ago.
On that perticular year they were under the left side of the dash.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Brian W.'s Post: i am assuming i have to remove the cover that is under the steering wheel? how many wiring harnesses go into that timing module?
Expert:  Brian W. replied 10 years ago.
yes you do, just 1.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Brian W.'s Post: ok...sorry to bug you again, but where the heck is this part located? the only thing I can find has 2 wiring harnesses and it said something about motorola on the label
Expert:  Brian W. replied 10 years ago.
Look at the illustration. There is a 8$ minimum for automotive questions you offered 4. We get 50% of 4 dollars sorry I can not spend any more time with you for $2. I recommend going to the dealer.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Brian W.'s Post: i would have paid you much more than the $4 i had originally committed to, but i guess now you don't even get that. i will only pay if i am satisfied with the end result...the illustration is about as clear as mud. thanks for your time
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
fyi...had nothing at all to do with the CTM...i spent $140 on a part i didn't even need and the dealer wants to charge me a 25% restock fee to take it back...i fixed the problem myself with no help at all...what does it take to become an expert?
Expert:  Zukiman replied 10 years ago.
Cookie man, what did you find?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Zukiman's Post: what do you mean, what did i find?
Expert:  Zukiman replied 10 years ago.
What fixed your problem ?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Zukiman's Post: Overhead light was shorting out! A button was not making proper connection causing the lights to stay on. The best part is that I went to a salvage yard and they gave me the piece I needed once I removed it from the wrecked vehicle.
Expert:  Zukiman replied 10 years ago.
Good for you ! I stated you had a short or bad switch. I dont know why Brian wasted your time with the ctm. Thanks for the reply, just confirmed my answer was correct.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Zukiman's Post: he was so sure that it was the ctm and then he gave me incorrect information such as where it was located and how many wiring connectors there were! although easy to find and replace he had me looking in a different area. and, wasn't even the item i needed to fix...oh well, live and learn