Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

1988 Nissan: It has the Z24 engine...I am tryin gto get it back it

Customer Question

Hi: I have a 1988 Nissan Truck.. It has the Z24 engine...I am tryin gto get it back it time after putting on a new head gasket.. I have a Haynes Manul to follow.. On this model, the timing chain has two "silver" links, and the rest are "gun blue" in color.. I put the #1 piston at TDC of the compression stroke and the camshaft lined up where both of the #1 cylinder valves are closed and that timing mark is at the 2 o'Clock position as the book states to do. I put the chain on the two sprockets, lining the two silver links with these two sprocket's timing marks.. I then re install the chain tensioners.. I then spin the engine over a few times, and it has jumped about 8 teeth out of time, but it is lot so loose as to "jump time", nor are the sprocket teeth broken, missing, or worn to the point that the chain would "jump time" on them.. Thank you VERY much for ANY help, Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 10 years ago.
Installation

1. Ensure No. 1 cylinder is at TDC of its compression stroke.
  2. Install crankshaft sprocket, oil pump drive gear and oil thrower, noting the following:

1. Ensure mating marks of crankshaft sprocket face engine front.
    2. Install oil pump drive gear so that large chamfered inner faces rearward.

1. Install camshaft sprocket and timing chain, noting the following.

1. Set timing chain by aligning its mating marks with those of crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprocket.
  2. Camshaft sprocket should be installed by fitting knock pin of camshaft into its No. 2 hole, and No. 2 timing mark must also be used.

1. Torque camshaft sprocket bolt to 87-116 ft. lbs.
    2. Install chain guide and chain guide tensioner, noting the following.

1. Torque bolt to 4.3-7.2 ft. lbs.

1. When installing chain guide, move chain guide in direction that gives strain to chain.