Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

what happens if my mass air flow sensor is bad

Customer Question

how long can I drive with this problem not corrected
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 10 years ago.
This is very common and can cause you vehicale to loose power along with many other drivabilty issues if the sensor is bad. The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine.
The MAF sensor then outputs an analog voltage signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio.
If the sensor is bad than this air/fuel ratio will be off.
This input can also be used in determining transmission Electronic Pressure Control (EPC) , shift and torque converter clutch scheduling.
Some MAF sensors have Integrated Bypass Technology (IBT) with an integrated Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor.
The MAF sensor is located between the air cleaner and the throttle body or inside the air cleaner assembly.