Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel ...

Customer Question

P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control.
what do i need to look for
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
Greetings! U have a bad t-stat. The only thing that gets engine temp up to par is the thermostat.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: no this is a emission problem ,O2 sensor is OK
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
I KNOW! WHEN THE T STAT IS BAD IT CAN GET STUCK OPEN AND NOT LET THE CAR FULLY WARM UP. WHEN THE CAR IS COLD IT RUNS RICHER, MORE GAS! MORE GAS RESULTS IN HIGHER EMISSIONS! THAT IS WHY THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: I check T start A week ago it good
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
What is the engine temp when the car has been running for about 15 minutes?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: it is a bout 190
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
A normal operating engine temp is about 200 degrees f. Cooling fans do not com on until about 220 degrees f. Closed loop is when the engine is warmed up!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: do you think i need to replace T start. if i park
and let the eng. run for a bout 15 min. the fan will kick on ,when the temp rich 220 and it will set of at about 200 what els can go wrong with
emission
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
Yes I do! But give me a minute I will give some more info. Thanks.To obtain a high purification rate of the CO, HG and NOx components of the exhaust gas, a three-way catalytic converter is used. For the most efficient use of the three-way catalytic converter, the air-fuel ratio must be precisely controlled so that it is always close to the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio.

The oxygen sensor has the characteristic that it provides output voltage* being approximately proportional to the existing air-fuel ratio. The oxygen sensor output voltage* is used to provide feedback for the ECM to control the air-fuel ratio.

By the oxygen sensor output, the ECM can determine the deviation amount from the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio and control the proper injection time immediately. If the oxygen sensor is out of order, ECM is unable to perform the accurate air-fuel ratio control.

The oxygen sensor is equipped with a heater which heats the zirconia element. The heater is controlled by the ECM. When the intake air volume is low (the temperature of the exhaust gas is low), the current flows to the heater to heat the sensor for the accurate oxygen concentration detection.

*: The voltage value changes at the inside of the ECM only.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Toyota had recall on this code but i do not know
what are they replaced.
Thank
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
sorry it took so long here is a tsb for this code.

ENGINE
EG014-02
REVISED

August 2, 2002

Title:
M.I.L. "ON" P0125, P0130 OR P0133

Models:
'03 Corolla & Matrix

TSB REVISION NOTICE :June 20, 2003: VIN information has been updated.
The previous TSB should be discarded.

Introduction

Certain 2003 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles equipped with a 1ZZ engine may exhibit a M.I.L. "ON" condition with Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0125, P0130 or P0133 in the Engine Control Module (ECM). Use the following procedure to inspect and replace the Oxygen Sensor 1.

NOTE: After certain driving conditions, Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0171, P0172, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304 may also be found in conjunction with one or more aforementioned Oxygen Sensor DTCs. Follow the repair manual diagnostic procedure for P0125, P0130 or P0133, as applicable.

Applicable Vehicles^ 2003 model year Corolla & Matrix vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below.

Production Change Information

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty

This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date. For California specification vehicles registered and operated in California, Massachusetts or Vermont, this repair is covered under the California emissions warranty, which is 36 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Parts Information

Required Tools & Material

Repair Procedure

Perform the Oxygen Sensor inspection procedure steps 1-3 for the applicable Diagnostic Procedure Trouble Code. If NO GOOD, replace the Oxygen Sensor 1.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
I work very hard to get u correct answers and to save u money. If this has helped in anyway, by fixing the problem, or even by narrowing the problem down, please hit the accept button. If my answer is unclear or if u need more info, dont be afraid to ask. Thanks!
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: now i had one more new code #p0135 O2 sensor heater cir malfunction ( bank 1 sensor 1 )
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
HA! That is a o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 code! U, my friend, have a bad oxygen sensor! Turn the key on and just make sure u have 12 volts down to the o2 sensor. If u do, replace the o2 sensor!!! It's bad!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: I do not have 12 volt to o2 where do i need to look for
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
MAKE SURE THE KEY IS ON WHEN U CHECK FOR VOLTAGE. MAKE SURE ALL FUSES INSIDE THE CAR AND UNDER THE HOOD ARE GOOD! THERE IS A 15 AMP FUSE THAT POWER UP THE EFI RELAY, MAKE SURE THAT FUSE IS GOO ALONG WITH THE RELAY. MAKE SURE THERE IS POWER AT THE FUSE AND RELAY WHEN THE KEY IS ON. iF THERE IS THAN THERE IS A BREAK IN THE WIRE.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: where is the location of EFi relay and fuses
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
LEFT SIDE ENGINE COMPARTMENT UNDER HOOD.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Thanks
My fuse is ok and it has power to relay. Has positive power to o2 but does not have ground to o2.
Where do i find the ground? Is there power to o2 at all times if ignition switch is on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
Sorry it took so Yes it must have battery power with key on down to o2 sensor! It also must have ground! Do a voltage drop on the ground wire and see if you are missing a ground. Let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Iam missing a ground ,i did not have any thing when i read both wire ,if iread one wire and one ground to engine block then i had 12 voltage .which componace send ground to o2 ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
If u are missing a ground than u will need to find a break in the wire. If it begins to be too much of a hassel than just run a new ground.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: does the ground send to O2 by computer or by timer because the O2 heater only need when first start the car for a few min. untill the car warm up then the heater will be off is it corect ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
I am looking at a wiring diagram now. Do u have a 2zz-ge motor or a 1zz-fe motor? This is important! It will say on the sticker under the hood.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: I had 1zz-fe motor
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
OK there are four wires that are going into the o2 sensor connector. So we are on the same page can u tell me the colors and I will tell u what we should have as far as voltage.
As far as I see There are two black wires One will have battery volts when key is on and the other is the signal back to the computor. A pink wire will have a ground ONLY when the key is turned on when the engine is cold. This is the ground to activate the heater. The computor will not ground this wire is the car is warmed up. And last but not least a brown wire. This must have a ground at all times. This is the sensor ground.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: I had 4 wire 2 black 1 pink 1 brown i do not have ground when the key is turn on ( pink wire )where is ground come from
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
The ground on the pink wire comes from the computor when the key is turned on ONLY after the car is cold. So, in the morning when the car has been sitting over night. Turn the key on and u should have a ground on that wire. If u do not, go to the computor nd see if there is a ground coming out there in case of a wireing issue. If it does not go to ground The driver in the computor is bad and needs to be replaced!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Where is the computer locate,i need to replace the driver or the computer
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
Well now this is another question. Hold on a minute I will get u some info.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
The ecm is located inside the car on the passengers side behind the glove box. U may need to remove the kick panel.
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: Thank you
I will check it out tomorow and i will let you know how it turn out . Could you send to me a wiring diagram
thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
I would love to nut my computor wont let me. If u need anything else let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to amedee's Post: HI i could not find the driver for a ECM
is it some thing betwin ECM and o2 sensor ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
NO no! The driver is inside the compputor. If the driver is bad than the pcm will need to be replaced.