Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.

94 nissan sentra: check engine light..stays..atf..whining noise

Customer Question

I have a 94 nissan sentra and the check engine light constantly stays on. I have had the car for 2 months and there is no manual for it. Recently I needed to add power steering fluid and I bought pwr steering fluid then was told that I should have used Dextron 11 ATF fluid instead, now it seems that maybe it was overfilled with the power steering fluid and it is making a whining noise. What all could be involved in fixing the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 10 years ago.

That is a warning light that comes on if the computerized engine control system detects an engine performance or emissions problem. Also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and some not as serious.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retreive the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone in your area, they will read them for free.

If you put too much fluid in the PS pump you can pull some out with a turkey baster but too much oil generally won't cause a noise.