Davo
Davo, Master technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician
112340

2001 Chevy Impala: I start the car up and turn on the air conditioner

Hi there. I have a 2001 Chevy Impala. When I start the car up and turn on the air conditioner there is a musty odor. Im a 70 yr old lady & I'd like to know what's wrong BEFORE I take it to the dealer.
Category: Car
Expert:  GENE replied 10 years ago.
Bacteria builds up on the evaporator and causes this to happen.The dealer has a fix for this and will cure the problem.I forget exactly what it costs to do this but it's not expensive
GENE, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER TECH 40 YEARS IN THE INDUSTRY
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Answer said "dealer has a fix for this...I don't remember how much they charge." I'd like to know exactly what the dealer is supposed to do, and at least an estimated amount. I've learned the hard way to go to the dealer with the facts; otherwise I end up emptying my wallet.
Expert:  Davo replied 10 years ago.
They will spray the evaporator with a product that reduces bacteria.That will get rid of most of the odor right away.I would suggest having your cabin filter checked to make sure you don't have water coming in there or a nest from critters built on it.Some GM models will allow the dealer to turn on a function called afterblow that will make the blower motor operate for a little while after the car is turned off.A GM scan tool is required to turn on afterblow if available on your model.I would expect to pay an hour or less labor for both things to be done.I don't know your dealers labor rate but a phone call to their service dept would get you that answer.I work in a GM service dept and that is what we typically charge for that service.By the way this is a different expert and your accept to the other expert does not give me any money for my time answering you.If I have helped please give me an accept also.
Davo, Master technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician/Advanced Automotive Diagnostic Technician