ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

1993 Toyota Camry: sluggish..pedal..the acceleration is..traffic

Customer Question

1993 Toyota Camry -4 cylinder engine. The car is very sluggish when taking off from a stop. I can push the pedal to the floor and the acceleration is so slow that I have to allow a lot of roomn to get into traffic . Once it is up to normal speed the response is normal. The car drive normally otherwise. I have had the transmission looked at and the catalytic converter. Both checked out OK.What could it be?
Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 10 years ago.

How is idle quality? Rough or smooth, any popping? Does it start easy?

Is the engine stumbling on acceleration or just lacking power?

Finally, is the engine light on?

I know it's like 20 questions, but we need to know these things.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to ase_master327's Post: The car does not stumble. It idles a little roughly. It also has a bad motor mount and it makes noise as a result. I had consulted with a Toyota mechanic over this problem. I also referenced an answer from Mike on 4/19/2006 regarding a similar problem with a '93 Camry. I found a cracked hose on the air intake and wrapped it with duct tape. My problem got a lot better. I'll replace the part and see if that takes care of it. The car has 363,000 miles on it and based on my limited 2 month's ownership, I will refer back to you with future problems.
We'll be here.