Hammer Time
Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.
201885

Buick lesabre: 93..antenna keeps running..ignition key..stop running

I have a Buick LeSabre '93. The electric antenna does not work and the electric motor to the antenna keeps running even after the radio is turned off and the ignition key is removed. I had to cut the wire to the motor to get it to stop running. What is the reason? Thanks for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 10 years ago.
The Power antenna Mast has a long plastic middle that contacts and winds around the Gear on the Motor. What has happened is the plastic has broken & the Gear does not sense the Antenna is Up or Down, so the Motor keeps running.
You should be able to purchase a Replacement "Mast Assembly" for the Antenna from GM Parts. It is not to difficult to install. Instructions should be with New replacement.
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience: Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I want a different opinion.
Expert:  Hammer Time replied 10 years ago.

It is very possible that Lurch is correct and the spine is broken. The shutoff works on an overload principle. When the antenna bottoms up e breaker or down, the extra resistence trips the breaker and shuts it off. If the mast spind is broken, it never sees that rsistence.

It is possible to have some drive mechanism broken also but you should be able to remove the mast by removing the collar on top and pulling it out. If it pulls out, it's broken.

Hammer Time, L1 Master Technician
Experience: ASE Mastertech with Adv level Engine performance cert.