FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

93 Camry rough idle when warm

1993 toyota camry 4cyl 2.2L has rough idle sometimes after running at high speeds.
The car has been taken to the Toyota dealer but they could not duplicate the problem so they could not fix it. They did clean the fuel system but this didn't help
Car has 75,000. No check engine lights come on.
I Once opened the hood while the car was idleing rough and was watching the vacuum plunger open the throttle to keep the car from stalling (not sure what the vacuum plunger thing is called) and after a few minutes of rough idleing the problem went away.
The temperature gage is normal but the car smells hot when problem occurs.
The block where the throttle plate is, seems to be unusually hot. It would seem to me that if there is cold air constantly flowing through this block that it shouldn't get hot but it is. Thanks for your help.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
1993 toyota camry 4cyl 2.2L has rough idle intermitently, after running at high speeds. Like when you would exit the highway from sustained speeds of 70mph. At the end of the exit ramp the car will stall or idle rough. It runs fine at high speeds.
When just driving around town at slower speeds it doesn't have the problem
The car has been taken to the Toyota dealer but they could not duplicate the problem so they could not fix it. They did clean the throttle plate but this didn't help
The block where the throttle plate is, seems to be unusually hot. It would seem to me that if there is cold air constantly flowing through this block that it shouldn't get hot but it is.
Would the EGR valve cause this intermitently?
Idle control valve ?
Thanks for your help.

Optional Information:
1993 Toyota camry 2.2l

Already Tried:
throttle plate cleaned by dealer
Expert:  FixItMan replied 10 years ago.
When it is idling rough does the engine RPM seem low?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: yes, idle is low.
Keeping the RPM above 1,000 by keeping your foot on the gas keeps the car running without running rough.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 10 years ago.
Okay. This is a very common problem on the Camry with the four cylinder engine. It sounds to me like your idle air control valve is bad. The valve is located on the bottom side of the throttle body. It is also water cooled. This valve regulates the engines idle during stops, turning on the a/c, or even shifting out of park. It sounds like this valve is not staying cool and is malfuntioning when the engine gets hot.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to BOBBY's Post: you comment that this valve is not staying cool.
When I replace the valve, should I be checking anything else which keeps the valve cool.
In other words, could there be a water blockage,or something else making the valve hot or is one of the symptoms of the valve going bad is that the valve gets hot.
thanks
Expert:  FixItMan replied 10 years ago.
The valve is probably going bad regardless of heat. But yes, when you change the valve there are two small coolant lines going to it. Check these hoses for any blockage. If they have clean coolant in them they should be okay. If you are changing this yourself remember to also clean the throttle body out where this valve mounts up to it. Let me know if you have any other questions.